Developing psychic gifts is OMG-FABULOUS and I LOVE getting and answering receiving questions from our wonderful community about the topic.
Today, I’m tackling some awesome reader questions, including how to know when your gifts are fully developed and more!
Developing Psychic Gifts – Community Q&A
1. I’ve been trying to develop my psychic abilities using some of your suggestions. How do I know when my abilities are fully developed? – Maggie
This is a GREAT question and has a two-part answer:
First, your psychic abilities will always be improving… much like my husband’s newfound love of cooking (I probably need to hide the salt shaker LOL)!
Honestly — the learning never stops. But trust me, this is a GOOD thing and you wouldn’t want it any other way. :)
When I first started giving readings, I felt like my psychic gifts were developing every single day! I learned so much about giving intuitive readings and mediumship, then expanded my knowledge to the Akashic Records, meditation, chakras, crystals, and grounding.
And it’s only in the last five or so years that I’ve learned the importance of having a high-vibe and how it’s soooo important in developing your psychic gifts — and life in general!
I’ve been on my psychic journey since 2000, and I tell ya, learning all of these things have taken my abilities to higher levels than I even thought possible! I can honestly say that I rely on my intuitive abilities as much as my five physical senses — maybe more…
Which leads us to part two of this answer…
You’ll know you’re psychic gifts are well developed when you start trusting them.
Seriously, this is super important (and it’s something I didn’t know in the beginning), so you might want to write it on a sticky note where you can see it every day.
Trusting and feeling confident about your abilities is a clear-cut indicator that you’re abilities are well developed. Why? (Oh, I thought you’d never ask :))
Because… you can only feel trust and confident about your abilities when you have developed a RELATIONSHIP with them. That means you understand your psychic “clairs” (clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, and claircognizance), and how your particular gifts work for you.
Bottom line: Developing psychic gifts is a lifelong journey of learning and growing. And that’s the fun part, I promise!
- This post will help you build trust: Your Psychic Gifts – 5 Tips to Trusting and Overcoming Doubt
- This post will teach you about having a relationship with your gifts: The Critical Thing Every Psychic Beginner Must Do, But Doesn’t
2. I’m clairaudient and I’m hearing too much. It’s keeping me awake at night. How can I control this so I can sleep? – Rob
Don’t worry, this is actually totally normal and can be fixed! First, let’s talk about why it’s happening…
Now, to fix it so you can get some sleep, it’s time to start working with your Spirit Guides. They are the ones that can really help you control your gifts (think of them as that guy at that really exclusive club who decides who gets in and who doesn’t. Your Spirit Guides can help you CONTROL the clairaudient impressions that are keeping you awake).
So, when my clairaudience used to be a little too much, I would ask my Spirit Guides to please “turn down the volume.”
Just like with Maggie’s question above, it can be super helpful to build a relationship with your Guides first (are you seeing a pattern here? :)), which you can do during meditation by setting the intention that you want to connect with your Guides.
Then whenever it’s too much ask them to ‘turn down’ or ‘turn off’ the volume. Yep, it really is that easy! :)
- Need some help connecting with your Guides? Read: 14 Ways to Connect to Your Spirit Guides
3. I would like your advice on something that has been happening to me since I was young. I’ve always said things I can’t explain or I always find people who need me the most. But as of late it has become a very tiring thing. – Colleen
Ah, yes. This is the empath (also known as clairsentient or psychic feeling) tale that’s as old as time… How do you handle feeling EVERYTHING?
These overwhelming feelings can be especially rough for empaths who haven’t learned how to “shut down” and control their clairsentient ability when they need some “me time.” But don’t worry, once you get the hang of it, you can start to enjoy your gift again and stop feeling drained or tired.
Just like my answer above, I would recommend connecting with your Spirit Guides ASAP. They will help you understand and control your ability.
It’s also important that you take note of who in your life makes you feel exhausted (we call these people psychic vampires, but they’re not cool vampires like a Twilight kind of way — instead they “suck” your energy instead of your blood.)
Steer-clear of these people as much as possible (you know who they are) and start surrounding yourself with positive, like-minded people. Raising your energetic vibration can help with this a LOT, because that whole thing about how like attracts like is true.
If you’re still struggling, remember that you didn’t incarnate on this earth to be a slave to your psychic gifts. You’re here to help humanity and spread loving vibes into the world! But in order to do that, you have to learn the empathic survival skills.
- Read the post: The Empathic Survival Guide
4. May I ask how to develop my psychic clairs better? – Hanna
Yes! This is a fab question because developing your clairs (inner feeling, inner seeing, inner hearing, and inner knowing) is the KEY to developing psychic gifts. Plus, it’s super fun!
I did a full series on each of the psychic clairs which includes tips, tricks, signs that you have each ability, and how to know you’re really experiencing each gift. Find them here:
- Clairvoyance: Everything a Newbie Should Know (psychic seeing). You can also learn exercises to develop clairvoyance here and here.
- Clairsentience Beginner’s Guide (psychic seeing). I also have a whole bonanza (what a fun word!) of clairsentient exercises here.
- Claircognizance Guide to Psychic Knowing (Inner knowing). Specific claircognizant exercises can be found here.
5. I don’t know what to say when I sage my house. I don’t like the word “smudging.” Are there any other words you can think of that I can use? – Robyn
Absolutely! Try calling it space cleaning, saging, purifying, clearing, bringing in good energy, or “positive vibes only”.
The most important part of this whole process is the intention. So don’t worry so much about what you call it, just focus on the sage sprucing up your energetic space.
For an affirmation, you can use something as simple as, “Fill this home with light, love, and joy” or “Bless and purify this home and all who enter.”
- For more info, here’s my post about all things saging.
Well, friends, that’s all I have for you today about developing psychic gifts. If you’re question wasn’t answered this round, you can submit a question through my contact form here. To read past community questions, check out these posts (I mean, why stop now, you’re already comfy and cozy, right?:))