Today we’re talking about how to ground yourself. Grounding is the act of balancing your spiritual and physical energy by connecting yourself with the earth.
It’s awesome to know how to ground yourself because it brings your attention to the here and now and makes you feel like you’re truly present (mindful). And I think we’d all agree that it’s getting increasingly harder to be present these days with the bazillion things on our to-do list!
When I first started developing my psychic gifts, no one taught me about grounding and how important it is.
And OH, it was LONG and wacky psychic development class with a lot of shaking and crying that left me wondering, why am I feeling like this?! (If you want to read about the class and how I almost quit, read this post :)
If you’re doing any kind of energy work (including readings and psychic development practice) and have any of the following feelings when you do, you need to learn how to ground yourself:
- tired (If Ryan Gosling walked into the room you’d still want to sleep)
- feel like you are floating
So, why all the funky feelings?
These are all feelings and sensations that happen when you have excess energy running through your system from doing energy/psychic work.
Knowing how to ground yourself can help relieve the excess energy to get you back in touch with the earth and your physical body. (Plus, if Ryan Gosling does walk in the room, you’ll be ready :)
Now it’s time to get your spiritual grounding groove on!
Below are 19 ideas on how to ground yourself. Tip: What works for me may not work as well for you and vice versa. So don’t give up if one thing doesn’t work. Just choose another from the list:
How to Ground Yourself – 19 Ideas
1. Go on a walk or do anything physical. This is hands down, one of my favorite ways to reconnect with myself and stay grounded! Exercise is GREAT because you focus and connect with your physical body while expending excess energy at the same time.
Yoga is especially wonderful because it centers you on a spiritual and physical level. Bonus points if you can include your pup — they’ll appreciate it and studies have shown that being with your pet relieves stress!
2. Do the dishes (or clean anything). Ditto the sentiment above about getting up and moving, but this tip also gets your personal space clean! When your space is clean, your mind is automatically more at ease. There is room to think and breathe now. Plus, you’re caring for and claiming ownership of the area which grounds you to the earth and your space.
3. Have sex. Intimacy not only brings you close to your partner, it brings you into the present moment. This (and most physical activities) releases endorphins — AKA the natural pain reliever! So you will get wind up feeling not only grounded, but ready to take on what’s next.
4. Binge watch TV and eat popcorn. Hey, I don’t have to tell you twice, right?! In the age of Netflix, we’ve all become great bingers (well, it’s already started another episode so…).
TV puts us in a different frame of mind and allows us to “check-out” for a little bit. That way, when we step back in, we’ll be refreshed and maybe even have a different perspective! And, don’t forget the snack. Eating is a great way to ground too due to the digestive process.
5. Call your BFF and gossip about the latest episode of House of Cards. I’m talking about a good ol’ fashioned gab fest — let em’ have it! You get to catch up with your friend and mentally relocate for a little while – which grounds you because chatting it up is physical. Who knew that how to ground yourself could be so much fun!
6. Soak your feet in warm water. How good does that sound right now? I may have to hop in on this action. Add some Epsom salts, Himalayan sea salt, and/or a couple of drops of essential oils to really amp things up.
The act of soaking your feet will bring the energy down and away from your head (crown chakra) and into your body — which will ground you.
7. Go for a pedicure. They will soak your feet which gives you the benefits mentioned above. Get a bright color polish (like red, the color of the root chakra for grounding) that reminds you of your experience and then every time you see it, intentionally focus on being present in the moment. PS, don’t forget to bring your friend!
8. Eat something. Eating reminds us that we have a physical body, and the process of digestion helps bring the energy down away from our crown and third eye chakras. I go with what feels right – sometimes it’s healthy and sometime’s it’s ice cream! When learning how to ground yourself, it’s important to not force it (or any of these tips, for that matter).
9. Root veggies. Ayurvedic medicine folks believe root veggies are good for grounding because they grow underneath the surface of the earth; therefore, they can make you feel more connected with Mother Earth. And of course, they are delicious when they’re roasted!
- Grounding recipe: Chop up a roasted red pepper, 2 red potatoes, 2 carrots, half of a butternut squash, and a clove of garlic. Drizzle with enough extra-virgin olive oil to coat. Stir. Cover with foil. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about an hour (stir occasionally). SUCH a great grounding recipe for days when you are giving psychic or mediumship readings and OMG divine!
10. Chocolate. I LOVE chocolate. Chocolate is natural and grows in pods on the theobroma (cacao) tree – therefore, it’s very “earthy.” (I know, that’s like the best news EVER, right?!) The best chocolate for grounding yourself is raw, high quality chocolate like Sacred Chocolate. While it’s more bitter than the drug-store chocolate that many of us grew up eating — the health benefits and grounding properties are worth the sacrifice.
But, if you’re not ready to venture into the land of raw cacao, start with dark, organic chocolate, such as Green & Black’s. You’ll get the same effect.
11. Walk outside barefoot. I’m serious — get out there! When is the last time you put your feet in the grass and really felt the earth? When we were kids, we did this all the time. And weren’t we much more grounded back then? So kick off your shoes and talk a walk outside.
Plus, the warm sun will do your soul well and the exercise will bring you to the here and now. PS — walking on the sidewalk won’t cut it (and ew, gross). You have to actually get your feet in the dirt, sand, grass, or ocean.
12. Do anything outside. While you’re out there, feeling the grass beneath your toes, just stay. The warmth of the sun, the fresh air, the nature… it all adds up to a pretty grounded spirit. So, sit in the sun. Put a lawn chair in the snow (I had a friend that did this once to ground herself – omg the picture was hysterical, but she says it worked). Or, grab a hammock. If you can do yoga outside – doubly awesome!
13. Hug a tree. This is literally taking nature by the trunk and saying — give me your energy! And hey, it works. Take a deep breath (or a few) and just be with the earth. Allow yourself to connect with the earth.
14. Get gardening. Bonus points if you grow some root veggies for roasting! This is the same concept of walking barefoot in the earth — so you have to ditch those garden gloves and put your hands in the dirt. It also gets you active and moving, just like cleaning, so your brain becomes more engaged and grounded.
15. Take a salt bath. I don’t ever need an excuse to do this, because I love it. Salts have natural healing properties and water cleanses energy so combine them and you’ve got a really “how to ground yourself” winner!
Sea salt, Hawaiian salt, or Himalayan salt (my personal fave!) are excellent choices for this method. Add about a cup or so to the warm, running water. Sit and enjoy for 20 – 30 minutes. Ahhhh…
16. Meditate. Meditation is wonderful for just about anything, and spiritual grounding is no exception. To start, sit upright in a comfy chair with your feet planted on the floor (this part is important for grounding). Imagine your feet have roots (like a tree) and are anchoring themselves deep into the earth. Breathe and allow yourself to be balanced.
17. Hold a grounding crystal or stone. This is about the simplest thing you can do when learning how to ground yourself. You can carry a crystal or stone in your purse, pocket, or even wear them as jewelry! I keep a few in my desk at home (where I spend a lot of time).
Great grounding crystals/stones:
18. Use essential oils. I’ve mentioned before how much I looooove essential oils — so this shouldn’t be a surprise. Aromatherapy oils (like lavender) help you relax and receive the grounding. Just pour a few drops into your diffuser or salt bath and get your grounding on! (If your an essential oil newbie, this post will help you learn the ropes.)
- Diffuser (I use this one every day and love the timer feature)
19. Sing and dance. Sometimes when I’m feeling ungrounded, I fire up my Dirty Dancing soundtrack and magic happens! I sing and and channel my inner “Baby”. The act of singing and dancing gets your body and energy moving – which grounds you – and it also has the added benefit of being super fun and making you feel so happy!
How to Ground Yourself – Final Tip
The most important thing to keep in mind is that not every tip will work for every person. So, what grounds me might not ground you, etc. Keep trying different techniques (or a combination of them) until you find what’s most helpful for you…
For example, how about:
- Busting a move to I’ve Had the Time of My Life while diffusing some essential oil?
- Running your essential oil diffuser while you take a salt bath? Or add a few drops of essential oils TO you salt bath!
- Meditate with a Red Jasper stone placed under your chair?
- Eat some raw cacao (Sacred Chocolate) while watching Dirty Dancing?
The possibilities are endless! Well, that’s about all I have for you, friends. I hope you have a better handle on how how to ground yourself now. Happy grounding!