Have you ever had a moment when everything felt just right? Maybe you were guided to a new job or set out to do something that came together seamlessly (kind of like you were being intuitively guided).
That all-is-well feeling is you being connected to your Higher Self and allowing it to guide you.
Basically, before we were born, each of us set an intention for our life. We all have a purpose, and connecting with our Higher Self can help lead us to that purpose — and a more joyful life.
Connecting to your HS It’s like a really fun game of hot and cold. If it feels right, you’re getting “warmer” (more connected)!
But you don’t have to guess because it’s easy to connect with your Higher Self once you know how. In this post, I’ll teach you how.
What is Your Higher Self?
In a nutshell, your Higher Self is your soul and is also known as your:
- True self
- Authentic self
- Inner Being
- Spiritual self
Your Higher Self is the REAL you, and “speaks” to you through your intuition (when you get intuitive nudges, you are hearing it).
Your Higher Self is the most loving part of you and knows why you are here on this earth.
This spiritual part of you doesn’t even care when your husband gets dirt on your freshly washed floor. And isn’t interested in things like revenge or drama — just love and joy!
The most important thing to remember:
Our physical bodies of are just a tiny part of our selves. Your soul is the true essence of yourself.
When you are connected to your Higher Self
Because your HS is your soul, when you are tuned into to it, you will feel:
- Inner peace, calm, and understanding.
- Trusting, even when going through a difficult time, like caring for a sick loved one.
- Sensitive to signs the universe is sending (symbols, numbers, etc.)
- Intuitive (think: gut feelings or strong feelings about people and/or situations).
- Tuned into to your higher purpose or goal (and less likely to get caught up in unimportant things).
When you are not connected to your Higher Self
We can never fully disconnect with our true self (after all, it is part of us), but we can feel distant from it sometimes.
Think of it like this:
Being connected to your soul is like driving your car on 4 brand new tires. When you’re not feeling connected, it’s like driving on bald tires… sure, you can still get around, but the ride is not as easy or smooth!
When you need to work on connecting with your Inner Being you will feel:
- Chronically worried or anxious.
- Pent-up anger or resentment.
- Stuck on past situations.
- Caught up in the little things and unable to see the bigger picture.
- Constantly distracted.
- “Off” and disconnected.
Obviously, we all want in on the goodness happening when we’re tuned into to our soul!
So now, I’ll teach you four ways to get connected so you can feel Zen and receive lots of precious intuitive guidance!
How to Connect with Your Higher Self
Meditation is often talked about (especially by me), so it’s easy to skim past it. But honestly, it’s one of the most effective ways to connect with your Higher Self.
When we meditate, we dive deep and focus inward. And because our authentic self is the spiritual side of us, meditation takes us there by definition.
Higher Self Meditation Tips:
- Set your intention prior to getting started. (i.e. I intend to connect with my HS.)
- Find a comfortable spot and begin taking some deep breaths.
- Relax and breath until you feel calm and peaceful.
- If your mind starts to wander, gently bring it back to your breath.
Tip: I had a yoga instructor that related our thoughts to passing cars. He said, “Imagine you are sitting on the side of the road, and all the cars passing by are your thoughts. Acknowledge them, but don’t try to hop in each car.” This analogy always helps me remember my intention during meditation.
If you need more help with meditation, here’s a post to teach you the basics.
When you journal, you get in touch with yourself on a higher and deeper level.
Plus, your journal is one of the only places where you can totally be yourself and say whatever is on your mind — and that’s really beneficial when connecting to your Inner Being.
When we’re not tuned into our HS, we are often focused on (or overwhelmed with) all the little things in life because we can’t see the big picture.
Journaling helps clear out the clutter and provides us with a fresh perspective.
Journaling is also wonderful because it helps you become aware of your intuition (which will never steer you wrong)!
3. Recite a Personal Mantra
Is there a saying that always seems to bring you back to yourself, and helps you see the bigger picture? If not, you need to get one. It’s POWERFUL!
Mine is, “It is well with my soul”.
I close my eyes and repeat this phrase whenever I feel the need to connect more deeply with my soul, or when I need to come back to a state of understanding and calm.
The dog just peed on the carpet again, but it is well with my soul.
Yes, my daughter snuck a boy into the house at 2am, but it is well with my soul.
Think of some common phrases or sayings and see if you have a connection with one of them. Or create one of your own!
Your personal mantra should be highly personal and powerful enough to remind you to take a breath, reconnect with your spirit, and view the bigger picture.
4. Do a Relaxing Activity
When we are in a relaxed state, it’s easier to have a positive perspective and be at peace.
It also means that our energetic vibration is high, and our connection to our Inner Being is strengthened.
A peaceful state of mind allows us to open a dialogue with ourselves and connect with our intuition.
Here are some relaxing activities that can connect you with your Higher Self:
- Take a salt bath. I love bathing with Himalayan Sea salts. It relaxes every muscle and bans worry from my brain. You can also use Epsom salts and essential oils.
- Paint, draw, or color. These activities allow your mind to wander while your hands are busy creating. It also frees up your mind to have a chat with your Inner Being. Personally, I love coloring mandalas. Find what you love, but don’t focus on perfectionism or creating the next Picasso. Just let yourself be free to create.
- Dance or sing. This can also free your mind while your body is busy. Music also raises your vibration, so if you’ve been feeling down, try singing your heart out to one of your favorite jams! (Fight Song is always a good choice!)
- Get active. (Bonus points if your activity of choice is outside). When I’m having a really tough day, I go outside (barefoot) and put my feet in the grass. It helps me feel connected, grounded, and peaceful. Yoga is also a great choice because it can release blocks and activate your chakras (which are the psychic-energy centers of your body).
Higher Self Takeaways
Sometimes it’s tough to break the cycle when we’re constantly being drawn to focus on the small picture and routine annoyances.
So, the next time you’re feeling frustrated, anxious, or indecisive, remember that your Higher Self has a bigger plan and intention for your life.
Try the tips above to connect with it and find peace in your soul. This leads to a spiritually healthy life, inner bliss, and a fulfilled purpose.