Coming out of the “psychic closet” is something many people struggle with once they start having intuitive experiences.
In fact, some people are so nervous about sharing their gifts that they keep them hidden for years.
I totally get why people stay in the psychic closet; I stayed in it myself for 10 years because I was afraid that people would judge me.
But it’s no fun keeping your beautiful gifts from the world, so today, I’m going to give you my best tips to help you embrace and talk about your abilities.
8 Tips for Coming Out of the Psychic Closet
When I was a little girl, I used to sneak into my Grandma’s closet and play with her fancy shoes. But as much fun as it was playing dress-up, I admit, the smell of moth balls did kind of put a damper on things!
Staying in the psychic closet for too long is similar.
Developing your psychic and mediumship gifts can be enlightening, fun, and inspiring. But if you stay in the psychic closet for too long, the ‘moth ball smell’ takes over and your journey loses some of its magic.
1. Decide on Your Comfort Zone
Some people are super open about being psychic.
For example, I have one friend who is so comfortable with her abilities that she gave a spirit message to her doctor during a check-up! (She’s also not shy about writing psychic medium on any form that asks for her occupation.)
But we’re talking about you… and the most important thing is that you are comfortable.
This is key above all else. If you’re not comfortable chatting with everyone about your psychic experiences right now, that’s okay.
- Read: 10 Things I’d Tell You About Becoming a Psychic Medium if We were Friends
- Developing Psychic Ability is Hard Sometimes
2. Share with People You Trust
One of the most comfortable ways to take a step out of the psychic closet is to start with those you trust. So, stop for a moment and ask yourself:
- Whom do I feel the most comfortable with?
- Who do I know that doesn’t judge others?
- Which of my friends and loved ones will support me?
Oh, it’s Barbara from work! She’s like a mom to me, and even made a gluten-free chocolate cake for my birthday. She’d be great to talk to.
3. You Don’t Have to Share with Everyone
It’s okay to share your journey with some people, but not others.
Remember, being psychic or communicating with spirits doesn’t define you; it’s just a part of you — like being a brunette or having curly hair.
Plus, if you were a teacher, would you run up to everyone you meet and say, “Hi, I’m Sally, and I’m a teacher”.
Of course you wouldn’t, so take that pressure off yourself.
When deciding whom to share your journey with, ask yourself:
- Am I sensitive? (There’s no right or wrong answer. It’s beautiful if you are and it’s beautiful if you’re not.)
- Will sharing with my Aunt Mary/best friend/Dad cause me stress? I want to surround myself with people who support me, and Aunt Mary definitely doesn’t make the cut!
On the flip side, if you’re super confident and want to share your intuitive gifts with everyone, go for it… cranky family members included!
4. Come Out of the Psychic Closet Slowly
There’s no need to have a big coming out party or walk around wearing a t-shirt that says I’m Psychic. It’s okay to allow things to unfold slowly and naturally over time if that’s what you’re most comfortable with.
It’s okay if you want to keep parts of your journey private, but don’t stay in the psychic closet because you are ashamed of your gifts.
If you feel like you’re struggling to accept your clairvoyant or other abilities, then the next tip is for you!
5. Embrace Your Intuitive Gifts
When you embrace your abilities, coming out of the psychic closet gets easier. Embracing your spiritual gifts also improves your aura and raises your vibration.
Being comfortable with your gifts is SO important that I created a guide and audiobook to help you reach this spiritual milestone. I invite you to access the guide and audio for free here: 7 Real World Steps to Embracing Your Intuitive Gifts.
By the end of the guide, you’ll be inspired to live your best intuitive life, and ready to welcome the divine spark that’s inside you!
6. Never Stop Learning
When my psychic awakening started in 2000, a friend asked me a question about Spirit Guides and I answered, “Ugh, I don’t know!”
That experience shook my confidence and made me want to run back into the psychic closet and hide!
The moral of the story?
It’s important to learn about your abilities and how they work. Knowledge = Confidence.
20+ years into my own journey, I still continue to learn about topics like astrology, the law of attraction, chakras, the Akashic Records, and more!
Here are some ideas to empower yourself with knowledge:
- Keep up with your fav intuitive blogs
- Take a psychic development course
- Practice meditation
- Read books about Spirit Guides, crystals, or other metaphysical topics you love
- Clairaudient Experiences: It’s Not All in Your Head
- 5 Ways to Develop Clairaudience
- 20 Clairvoyant Exercises and Tips
- How to do Psychic Readings Using Touch
7. Build a Support System
It’s important to have a support system of people around you.
These may be friends who are also going through a spiritual awakening, or enjoy chatting about inner knowing, intuition, and other cool metaphysical topics.
As you build your support system, be sure to include the understanding people from tip #2 above.
If your family and friends don’t get your vibe and can’t relate to you, don’t worry. Trust that the universe will put compatible new friends in your path.
Here are some ways to start building your support system and come out of the psychic closet:
- Join a local psychic development class – I have met some of the nicest people at these classes and we’ve had a lot of laughs! New age stores often offer these types of classes.
- Check out a local spiritualist church – This is an especially good idea if you are drawn to mediumship because spiritualist churches support spirit communication. Plus, the energy in these churches is loving, welcoming, and they often offer classes for psychic or mediumship development.
- Get Online – No groups in your area? No problem! Go online and get social or sign up for an online course.
Tip: If you are looking for a group online, take your time. Find groups and people that you resonate with. I happen to think that our Facebook page is pretty awesome and has great energy.
8. Expect the Unexpected
At the start of my journey, I would get anxious worrying about how people would react if I told them I’m a psychic medium. I dreaded the question, “So, what do you do?”
But most times, coming out of the psychic closet was a great experience.
In fact, many people even had their own intuitive experiences to share with me! You’re a psychic! OMG, I always sense things about people, but worry that people will think I’m crazy if I tell them. Can I ask you a few questions?…
For example, one day I was talking to another mom at my kids’ school when she brought up the TV show Ghost Hunters. She was saying how much she loved the show, and that was my cue to open up.
She asked me for a mediumship reading, then started bringing her friends to me for readings, too. Soon, word got around, and my calendar was booked three months out with clients!
Coming Out of the Psychic Closet Takeaways
This journey is too exciting not to share. Plus, the closet is lonely.
If your heart is ready to share your journey, take a step today to come out of the psychic closet and have some fun!