Psychometry is a fabulous way to develop all of your intuitive gifts, including clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, claircognizance, and mediumship.
I always recommend psychometry to psychic beginners because having a physical item to hold boosts confidence. It’s like using training wheels when you learn to ride a bike.
Psychometry is when you read the energy of an object. You can sense things, see images, feel emotions, and hear sounds related to the history of an object and its owner.
It’s also been called token-object reading, psychoscopy, and clairtangency.
Some say that being near the object is enough to read it, but if you’re a beginner, it’s best to hold the item if you can. If the object is too big (like the HUGE motorcycle helmet I once read for a criminal investigation), place your hands on the item instead.
Remember to relax and have fun with this exercise; don’t stress out.
How Does Psychometry Work?
Did you ever touch the bathroom mirror after getting out of the shower? Maybe you drew a little heart for your honey to see each time the mirror fogs up?
I can’t tell you how many hearts and “hi mom!” messages have been imprinted by tiny hands on my bathroom mirror.
Psychometry works in a similar way. But with psychometry, it’s not a physical fingerprint, it’s an energetic fingerprint.
We are all made of energy. Our energy leaves an energetic imprint on all objects we come in contact with.
This means that objects will hold a vibration of what has been impressed upon them. These energy fields (or auras) that surround the object are what you are reading when you use psychometry. Makes sense, right?
Tip: The more energy an object holds, the more information you can get from it. Also, metal objects typically hold more energy than other objects.
For example, a wedding ring would hold more energy than a pair of gloves that were only worn a few times.
Signs You Have Psychometry Abilities
People who are empaths and have the psychic ability clairsentience are often excellent at psychometry.
You likely have psychometry abilities if you:
- Can’t buy or wear used clothes or jewelry
- Feel uncomfortable in cluttered spaces (too much energy)
- Get ‘vibes’ when you enter new places
- Can’t have furniture that’s been used
- Feel overwhelmed if you go into a pawn shop
- Have to wash your hands after picking up used items
Do you have any of these psychometry signs? Does it make sense now why you didn’t want your Aunt Alice’s floral print sofa… ugly pattern aside?
How to Do Psychometry
It’s easy to learn how to do psychometry, and the more you practice, the better you will get at it. With practice, it’s amazing what you can do with psychometry!
Step 1: Get Ready
- Wash and dry your hands to wash any residual energy off them.
- Rub your hands together to get the energy flowing.
- Now, keep the palms of your hands facing each other and slightly pull your hands apart (about 1/4 of an inch). Do you feel energy or a ‘thick’ feeling between your palms? If you do, perfect! If not, it’s okay. Try rubbing your hands together a little bit more.
Step 2: Read the Object
- Ask someone to hold an item that has their energy on it. (Keys or a piece of jewelry that someone wears often is great for this intuitive exercise.)
- Close your eyes and take a breath.
- Now, ask yourself questions like:
- Who owns this object?
- What is the personality of the owner?
- What types of experiences did the owner have while in possession of the object?
- Is the owner living or have they passed away?
- Allow images, feelings or messages about the object and its owner to come into your mind. Don’t force it… allow pictures, sounds, or feelings to come to you.
- If you feel stuck, ask questions in your mind. Is the owner of this object happy or sad? What sort of activities does the owner enjoy?
Sometimes, the strongest energy emanating from an object is an emotion. Love, hate, and fear are proven to be three of the most powerful emotions that can be felt. This holds true in psychometry readings as well.
Photos of people and houses can also be read with psychometry. Practicing mediumship with a photo of a departed loved one is a nice way to work with psychometry and link into spirit energy.
The Best Psychometry Resource I’ve Found
Back when I was first developing my mediumship and intuitive abilities, I stumbled across a book called How to Do Psychic Readings Through Touch.
I read the book a long time ago and thought it was AMAZING. It was one of the most helpful and practical books I had read at the time about psychic development – focusing on psychometry. I highly recommend it!
I know that you are well on your way to rockin’ it with psychometry. As always, remember to have FUN!