It can be tricky to develop your psychic abilities when you don’t know what to do. That’s why, in today’s post, I’m going to teach you several effective techniques to strengthen your intuitive or mediumship gifts.
To make this super easy, commit to practicing one technique each day.
You don’t have to do the exercises in any particular order. Start with whatever exercise you are drawn to. In a few weeks, you’ll be surprised at how far you’ve come!
28 Ways to Develop Your Psychic Abilities
1. Meditate every day for 10 – 15 minutes. Because spirit energy vibrates at a high frequency, raising your vibration is super important when you want to develop your psychic abilities.
Meditation will allow you to be in a relaxed state and raise your energetic vibration. You’ll begin to feel more connected to your Higher Self, Spirit, and the energy of others. For variety, try a guided meditation like my throat chakra meditation.
2. Get to know your Spirit Guides. During meditation, ask your Guides to show themselves to you. Then, start asking them questions. You can ask them their name, or anything else you want to know. Try not to doubt yourself during this time — just go with it and trust.
3. Practice psychometry. Psychometry is reading the energy of an object; it’s fun and a great way to start practicing your abilities. All you need to do is hold an object (preferably a metal object and something that has lots of energy on it, like a wedding ring), then, close your eyes and see if you can intuitively sense, see, or hear anything about the owner of the object.
4. Use Zener cards (Amazon affiliate link) with a friend. Have your friend pick up a card and study it without showing you. Then, try having them mentally share the image with you.
5. Develop clairvoyance with visualization. Visualization exercises will help develop your psychic abilities, specifically clairvoyance. Here are two of my fav visualization exercises:
- Relax, close your eyes, and focus on your third eye area. Now, invite your Spirit Guides in, and ask them to show you beautiful, peaceful images. Don’t think; allow your mind to wander and let the images flood your third eye.
- Grab some flowers and study them for a minute. Close your eyes and imagine one of the flowers in your mind’s eye. See its color and texture. When you can see the flower in your mind, move on to the next, and so on.
6. Practice using and trusting your intuition. Everyone has the ability to access intuitive guidance… but most people second-guess their gut feelings, intuition, and “little voice” within. By actively asking for intuitive guidance every day, and learning to trust the guidance you receive, you will be able to make decisions with ease, and live with more joy and clarity!
7. Take a nature walk. Meditation doesn’t have to be boring or done sitting down. Do a mindfulness meditation by taking a walk in nature.
Concentrate on each step as you walk and focus on the movement of your body, saying the word “step” with each step you take. This will clear your mind of clutter and increase your vibration. Of course, taking a regular walk in nature without concentrating on your steps is also very meditative!
8. Read books and articles by trusted authors to learn about intuition and mediumship.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Clairaudience. My bestselling guide to developing psychic hearing.
- Biddy Tarot. A trusted resource to learn how to read tarot.
- Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System. Sonia Choquette’s popular book about Spirit Guides.
9. Try automatic writing. Automatic writing is a fun way to connect with your intuition. To get started, write “What message does my Higher Self have for me?” at the top of a piece of paper. Then, without correcting yourself or thinking, just start writing! (Yes, it really is that easy!)
10. Visit an antique store. As you walk through the store, pay attention to what you intuitively feel and sense around you… Does the energy feel light? Heavy?
Now pick up an object. Do you sense anything? Hear a name? See a vision? Using your psychic abilities in this way helps to increase them!
11. Make a symbol book. Psychic information comes to us in a variety of ways. For example, it’s often symbolic. Don’t worry, though: your Spirit Guides will help you understand the intuitive information you receive as you develop your psychic abilities.
To make your symbol book:
- Get a journal and pen (I did this years ago and it’s an awesome keepsake).
- Now, sit comfortably and invite your Spirit Guides and angels in for help.
- Ask them to show you a symbol for love, then, write down the first thing that comes to mind. You may be shown an image if you’re clairvoyant; hear a word, song, or phrase if you’re clairaudient; or feel an emotion if you’re clairsentient.
- Once you’ve got the first symbol, move on to the next. This time, focus on the word “joy” and repeat the process.
- Keep going with as many emotions as you’d like!
12. If you’re using tarot, make your own tarot book. Get a tarot deck that you love, like The Rider Tarot Deck. Instead of looking at the meanings that come with the cards, use your intuition to make your own meanings.
Focus on one card at a time and write down whatever intuitive impressions you feel about the card. This is a great way to develop your psychic abilities and learn tarot!
13. Practice seeing auras. Anyone can learn to see an aura, so this is a great way to develop your psychic abilities.
- Have a friend stand in front of a plain-colored wall, and step back from them about eight feet.
- Now, focus on your friend’s forehead (third eye area). Imagine you are looking through her, at the wall behind.
- You will start to notice the first aura layer around the head.
14. Develop clairaudience (psychic hearing). Each night before you go to sleep, lay quietly in bed. Listen to the sounds around you and pay attention to what you hear… Do you hear crickets? Wind rustling through the trees?
Focusing on the sounds that you normally ignore will sharpen your psychic hearing. Here are some other ways to develop clairaudience.
15. Practice giving readings. This is key to becoming a psychic or medium. You can read all you want about golf, but until you get out there on the course and practice, you won’t become a great golfer.
It’s the same with developing your psychic abilities, so grab a few trusted friends, and practice giving them readings.
16. Tune-in to your pet. When your pet is calm, sit with him and try intuitively picking up on how he feels. This will help develop your clairsentience.
17. Practice reading old family photos. I used to do this with my grandmother’s black and white photos of family members that I never met. Look at the people in the photos and write down everything that you sense about them. This is one of the most fun ways to develop your psychic abilities!
18. Journal. Journaling helps get you in touch with your Higher Self (soul) and spiritual helpers. Think of a situation you need guidance on and journal about it. During your journaling session, allow yourself to relax and be divinely guided.
19. Pray. This will help you continue to feel loved, supported, and connected to divine energy.
20. Ask a friend to call you… telepathically. In your mind, hold the image of your friend. Then, imagine asking her to contact you within 24 hours.
21. Learn to protect your energy. Negative energy is all around us, and this can make you feel drained — especially if you are highly intuitive or empathic. Learning to protect your energy will keep you feeling great throughout your intuitive journey.
22. Use crystals. Crystals are gorgeous gifts from the Earth that hold powerful energetic properties. They can be used for just about anything, including to connect with your Higher Self, and strengthen your psychic gifts.
23. Learn to turn your gifts “on” and “off”. As soon as you start to develop your psychic abilities, you’ll want to learn how to manage them, so you aren’t overwhelmed by energy.
- Prior to using any of the exercises in this post or giving an intuitive reading, imagine lighting a white candle in your mind.
- Then, invite your Spirit Guides and angels in for support.
- Begin your psychic development exercise or start your practice reading.
- When you are done, imagine blowing the candle out.
- Thank your spiritual guides for their love and support.
The candle visualization lets your spiritual helpers know that you are open to using your psychic gifts!
24. Develop clairsentience. Clairsentience is the ability to connect with your intuition through sensing and feeling. For example, if you’ve ever had a super good or bad feeling when you first met someone, that was your clairsentience kicking in!
25. Focus on your third eye. Clairvoyance is one of the main psychic abilities. To strengthen clairvoyance, take a few moments and focus on your third eye area (between your eyebrows). Imagine your third eye chakra opening and activating. See it as a beautiful spinning pinwheel!
Tip: If you feel your third eye tingle during this exercise, it means your chakra is opening, yay!
26. Keep your vibration high. Having a high vibration is important when you develop your psychic abilities because:
- Spirit energy vibrates at a higher frequency than denser, heavier human energy.
- Living a joyful, high-vibe life will strengthen the connection with your Higher Self and intuition.
- Like attracts like, which means that you will attract other beautiful, spiritually aware souls into your life!
27. Eat high-vibe foods. Adding high vibration foods to your diet, such as fresh fruits and veggies, will help your body feel good. The better you feel physically, the better you will feel psychically and it will make it easier to develop your psychic abilities.
28. Keep a dream journal. When you first start to develop your psychic abilities, you may start having vivid dreams. This is because your logical mind doesn’t doubt the intuitive guidance you receive while you are sleeping. Keeping a dream journal can also be helpful — and a nice keepsake of your intuitive journey!
There are lots of tips here to help develop your psychic abilities. Have fun with them!
This will give you a safe, loving environment in which to develop your psychic abilities and mediumship.