Clairaudience (psychic hearing) is one of the “core four” psychic abilities (it also happens to be one of my favorites!)
People with clairaudience connect with their intuition through hearing. For example, they may get a message to call grandma while they’re busy shopping for produce, or waiting in the drop off line.
Understanding and developing clairaudience is a big topic, so I’ve broken up this article into a fun, four-part series. (You’ll find links to the other articles at the end of this post.)
What is Clairaudience?
Before we deep-dive into this ability, let’s get crystal clear on what it is.
Clairaudience comes from the French words clair (clear), and audience (the action of hearing). Put them together and you’ve got clear hearing.
In more practical terms:
Clairaudience is a special psychic ability that allows you to connect with your intuition via hearing.
Someone with clairaudience might hear sounds, words, divine messages, or music.
But don’t worry; it’s never creepy!
How does clairaudience sound?
Clairaudience is usually heard internally, in your mind, in your own voice — like when you are thinking about your grocery list.
This may lead you to wonder how you can tell the difference between a clairaudient message and a ‘regular’ thought… Actually it’s not hard, and we’ll get to that in a second.
Tip: Sometimes, you can experience clairaudience with your regular (external) hearing, but it’s super rare.
How to Know You’re Clairaudient
Anyone can develop psychic hearing.
For some, it will be their dominant psychic ability; for others, clairvoyance, clairsentience, or claircognizance may be stronger.
No matter what ability you find yourself leaning toward, go with it! You are being called there for a reason.
Psychic hearing may be one of your intuitive gifts if you:
- Love music. You need to listen to music every day, because it helps you feel calm and connected to your soul.
- Are an auditory learner. If you learn best through listening, or prefer to listen to an audiobook than read one, it’s a sign you’re clairaudient.
- Have noise sensitivity. Are you sensitive to sound or feel drained when there is too much noise around you?
- Hear occasional ringing in your ears. A high-pitched sound (without medical reason) is a great sign that your Spirit Guides are around! Pretty cool, right?
- Talk to yourself. If you spend a lot of time thinking or talking to yourself, you may be channeling inner wisdom without even realizing it!
Keep in mind, you don’t have to have all these traits to be clairaudient. I only have the last three traits, but intuitive hearing is still one of my strongest abilities. Read the 11 Surefire Signs You’re Clairaudient.
Tip: Clairaudience is super helpful to develop if you want to give intuitive readings to others. It’s also an amazing gift to access your own inner wisdom for guidance!
Even if you don’t have every psychic clair, you can still learn to go on and give readings with your dominant ability!
Where Do Clairaudient Messages Come From?
Through psychic hearing, you can receive guidance, and even have a two-way communication with your spiritual helpers!
When you’re just starting out, you may wonder who your spiritual helpers are, and who is connecting with you through your intuition.
These messages come from three main sources:
- Your Spirit Guides
- Someone you know who has passed away
- Your Higher Self
As you strengthen your clairaudience, you’ll learn to tell if the message is from your Spirit Guide or your late Aunt Jen.
You’ll also start to get a sense of why you’re getting an intuitive nudge.
4 Ways You Can Receive Clairaudient Messages
So, if clairaudient messages sound like your voice, and aren’t creepy, how can you tell when you’re receiving one?
Don’t worry, you don’t have to analyze every thought you have wondering if it’s an intuitive message!
Here are four signs that it’s an intuitive message:
1. You hear your own voice in your head
Clairaudient messages sound like yourself. Spirit always has your highest good in mind, so your intuition won’t scare you or sound creepy.
The best way to distinguish intuitive messages from your own thinking, is to note the timing.
For example, if I’m brushing my teeth and thinking about my schedule when I suddenly have a memory of my grandfather in heaven – I know he is communicating with me telepathically. Why? Because it’s a completely different thought from the one I was having. It’s also heard internally, and it’s uplifting. See how subtle clairaudient experiences can be?
Once you’ve worked on developing clairaudience for awhile, you will be able to differentiate between your own voice and the voice of Spirit, too.
For example, if I’m doing a mediumship reading and my client’s Uncle Joe is communicating with me via my clairaudience, I don’t hear the voice Uncle Joe had while he was alive. I hear him in my voice, in my head.
Think of it as a telepathic way of communicating.
You may also hear sounds, words, or music in your mind that have literal or symbolic meanings.
On rare occasions, you may also hear these sounds externally with your regular hearing – without a source for the sound.
For example, one day, my massage therapist and I began hearing the most beautiful music, but there was no one else in the building and no radios around!
Imagine how cool it would be if that happened all the time. We’d save a fortune on iTunes!
3. The voice of spirit
Most mediums hear spirit telepathically in their own voice. But sometimes, the voice of spirit will sound like it did while they were living.
The first time this happened to me I could distinctly hear my friend’s sister in spirit saying the name John. It was amazing! I was able to describe her voice and the way she pronounced her words.
These types of clairaudient experiences are positive and not scary.
4. Clairaudient warnings
If your spirit team needs to get your attention pronto, you may hear a clairaudient warning out loud.
This phenomena is not meant to be scary, but can be startling. (But believe me, if your spiritual team protects you by yelling “STOP”, you’ll be super thankful they did!)
How to Develop Clairaudience
When you start on your intuitive journey, you may notice that some of your gifts unfold more easily than others.
This is totally normal, so let yourself relax and go with the flow!
That said, it’s easy to develop your psychic hearing… once you know how.
All it requires is practice, the right guidance, and the desire to connect with your inner wisdom.
The quickest way to start developing clairaudience is to practice mindfulness.
Think about it. Life is loud and busy. How can we expect to hear divine messages when our kids are overloading the dishwasher with too much soap, our cell phones are constantly chiming, and the TV is playing at volume 60 in the background?
Mindfulness trains us to slow down and tune in to our physical world, and as we practice this technique, it becomes easier to connect with your intuition through your clairaudient gift!
Spirit messages and guidance from your Higher Self can be subtle, so practicing mindfulness can ramp up your clairaudience big time!
Let’s try it right now. If you can:
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Set the intention that you want to increase your psychic hearing.
- Relax your body, and let your hearing be your dominant sense.
- Now, tune into sounds that you don’t normally focus on: the refrigerator humming, your own breathing, the drums in your favorite song.
- Breathe and listen.
Practicing this exercise for 10 minutes a day will strengthen your intuitive hearing.
Ready for more? Continue reading the series
Takeaways from this article:
- Being clairaudient means that you connect with your intuition through the auditory channel (i.e. psychic hearing).
- We can access divine guidance from our Higher Self and spiritual guides through this intuitive ability.
- Spirit communicates telepathically, so clairaudience is usually experienced in your mind, with your inner ear. It sounds like when you are reading to yourself, but you may also hear things like music or the voice of spirit.
- Clairaudience can be external, too, though this is not common. When this happens, it’s often because your spiritual team needs to get you an important message, such as “look out,” ASAP!