Clairaudience (psychic hearing) is one of the “core four” psychic abilities (it also happens to be one of my favorites!)
People with clairaudience connect with their intuition through hearing. For example, they may get an intuitive message to call grandma while they’re waiting in line at the store.
Understanding and developing clairaudience is a big topic, so I’ve broken up this article into a fun series. (You’ll find links to the other articles throughout, and at the end of this post.)
What is Clairaudience?
Before we deep-dive into this ability, let’s get crystal clear on what it is.
Clairaudience means clear hearing. It comes from the French words clair (clear), and audience (the action of hearing).
Clairaudience is the ability to connect with your intuition via hearing — it’s psychic hearing.
With psychic hearing, you can receive intuitive guidance from your Higher Self (soul) and Spirit Guides.
You can even develop your gift to communicate with those in heaven!
How Does Clairaudience Sound?
Many people doubt their clairaudience simply because they think this ability is more dramatic than it actually is. (Thanks, Hollywood!)
In reality, clairaudience is subtle. It’s usually heard in your mind, in your own voice (like when you are reading to yourself).
It may also sound like:
- Words or thoughts that ‘pop’ into your mind
- Inspired ideas
- Blocks of thought (these may feel like divine wisdom or messages)
But if clairaudience is heard in your own voice in your own mind, how do you know you’re really experiencing it?
Actually, it’s not hard, so let’s talk about that next.
How to Know It’s a Clairaudient Experience
Don’t worry, you don’t have to analyze every thought you have wondering if it’s an intuitive message.
When you know what to look for, you’ll see that it’s not difficult to know when you are experiencing clairaudience.
As with all psychic development, it just takes practice and patience.
The key is to become aware of how clairaudient experiences manifest. As you’ll see from the list below, it’s a bit different from your thinking mind.
- Is usually heard in your mind and sounds like your own voice (like when you are reading to yourself).
- Is always for your highest and best good. Divine energy is that of pure love. Therefore, your spiritual helpers will never guide you to do harm or give you a scary message.
- Does not impose on your free will. You always have access to intuitive guidance, but spirit will never tell you what to do. Choices are always yours.
- May manifest as random thoughts that ‘pop’ into your mind. For example, one day I was brushing my teeth when the words “check your email” popped into my head. When I logged into my email, I discovered that the 100 mini succulents I ordered for my grandma’s birthday party were going to arrive a day early — and I needed to be home to receive them! Because I listened to this intuitive message, I was able to unbox and water the plants right away after their long journey from California. See how subtle (and helpful) clairaudient experiences can be?
- Can be short, especially when your psychic ability is just awakening. You may hear a snippet of music, a word, or short phrase. As your ability strengthens, you’ll start getting longer messages. You’ll also start to get a sense of why you’re getting an intuitive nudge, and if the message is from your Spirit Guide or your late Aunt Jen.
Tip: On rare occasions, you may experience clairaudience externally — without a source for the sound. For example, one day, my massage therapist and I began hearing the most angelic music, but there was no one else in the building and no radios around!
Signs You’re Clairaudient
Fun fact: anyone can develop psychic hearing.
For some, it will be their dominant psychic ability; for others, clairvoyance, clairsentience, or claircognizance may be stronger.
No matter what ability you are drawn to, go with it! You feel guided there for a reason.
That said, clairaudience may be one of your intuitive gifts if you:
- Love music. You need to listen to music every day, because it helps you feel calm and connected to your soul.
- Are an auditory learner. If you learn best through listening, or prefer an audiobook to reading text, it’s a sign you’re clairaudient.
- Have noise sensitivity. Are you sensitive to sound or feel drained when there is too much noise around you?
- Hear occasional ringing in your ears. A high-pitched sound (without medical reason) is a great sign that your Spirit Guides are around! Pretty cool, right?
- Talk to yourself. If you spend a lot of time thinking or talking to yourself, you may be channeling inner wisdom without even realizing it!
Keep in mind, you don’t have to have all these traits to be clairaudient. I only have the last three traits, but intuitive hearing is still one of my strongest abilities. Read the 11 Surefire Signs You’re Clairaudient.
Tip: Clairaudience is super helpful to develop if you want to give intuitive readings to others. It’s also an amazing gift to access your own inner wisdom for guidance!
Even if you don’t have every psychic clair, you can still learn to go on and give readings with your dominant ability!
How to Develop Clairaudience
When you start on your intuitive journey, you may notice that some of your gifts unfold more easily than others.
This is totally normal, so let yourself relax and go with the flow!
That said, it’s easy to develop your psychic hearing once you know how.
All it requires is practice, the right guidance, and the intention to connect with your inner wisdom.
The quickest way to start developing clairaudience is to practice mindfulness.
Think about it. Life is loud and busy. How can we expect to hear divine messages when our kids are overloading the dishwasher with too much soap, our cell phones are constantly chiming, and the TV is playing at volume 60 in the background?
Mindfulness trains us to slow down and tune in to our physical world, and as we practice this technique, it becomes easier to connect with your intuition through your clairaudient gift!
Spirit messages and guidance from your Higher Self can be subtle, so practicing mindfulness can amp up your clairaudience big time!
Let’s try it right now. If you have a moment:
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Set the intention that you want to increase your psychic hearing.
- Relax your body, and let your hearing be your dominant sense.
- Now, tune into sounds that you don’t normally focus on: the refrigerator humming, your own breathing, the drums in your favorite song.
- Breathe and listen.
Practicing this exercise for 10 minutes a day will strengthen your intuitive hearing. Here are more exercises to develop psychic hearing.
- Being clairaudient means that you connect with your intuition through the auditory channel (i.e., psychic hearing). You can use this gift to access divine guidance.
- Clairaudient messages come from your Higher Self (soul) and spiritual guides. You can also connect with loved ones in spirit through this ability.
- One of the best ways to distinguish intuitive messages from your own thinking, is to note the timing. They are often subtle, and pop into your mind unexpectedly.
- Because psychic hearing is telepathic, it is usually experienced in your mind. It sounds like when you are reading or thinking to yourself. You might also hear music or the voice that spirit had when they were living.
- Clairaudience can be external, too, though this is not common. When this happens, it’s often because your spiritual team needs to get you an important message, such as “look out,” ASAP!