Have you ever wondered about how to connect with your Spirit Guides? If you have, you’re in the right place. And if you haven’t, why not? It’s fun.
They’re available 24/7, always in a good mood, and their guidance is free. :)
Who are Spirit Guides?
Our Spirit Guides are souls that have agreed to help us through life. They’ve lived several lifetimes here on earth, so they know what it’s like to feel joy, sorrow, and deal with a snoring spouse. They:
- Give us nudges to notice things
- Bring people and things into our lives
- Create serendipity for us
They can help with anything. If it’s important to you, it’s important to them.
How to Connect with Your Spirit Guides
Connecting with your Spirit Guides is a lot like learning to cook an artichoke.
At first, you have no idea what you’re doing. It seems overwhelming and complicated. Do I broil this thing? Bake it? I have to snip the tips… whaaat?
But if you stick with it, you get the hang of it.
And just like cooking an artichoke, there are lots of different “methods” that you can use to get spiritual guidance, such as:
1. Create a sacred space for connecting. Select a place where you can hang out with your Guides on a regular basis – a comfy recliner, yoga mat, or a bench at the park.
You can connect with them anywhere, but it’s helpful to have a special place when you first start out. Why? Because you are “training” yourself to relax (and your vibration to raise), making connection easier.
So, have a seat in your sacred space and chat with your Spirit Guides. You can also chat with them through journaling so you don’t feel weird talking to yourself!
2. Invite them in. Your spiritual team is always there to support you, but why not invite them into your life and make it official? Simply set the intention that you want them to be a part of your life.
When you need guidance, ask them for support. Then, watch for signs, or notice what feelings you get.
3. Ask for signs. I know it can be hard to trust your Spirit Guides, especially when you’re a newbie. Plus, they’re invisible, so there’s that.
That’s why it’s helpful to ask for signs. Signs help build trust.
Signs can come in a bajillion different ways:
In a song, a blog post, or the next words your best friend utters to you. The sky is the limit!
Example: The other day I was overwhelmed because I didn’t know which art print to buy for my spare room. I looked at a LOT of art. (So much beautiful art on Etsy, so little wall space!) I narrowed it down to four choices, and my husband wasn’t very helpful, so I turned to my Guides instead.
An hour later, I shrieked when I saw one of the prints featured in a decorating magazine! Yep, that’s a sign, people.
4. Meet them in dreams. We’re more open to the spirit world during sleep than any other time. Tonight, before you fall asleep, ask your Spirit Guides to connect with you in dreamland – then trust that they will. Ask for their guidance on a specific issue. Should I start that new business? Go back to school? Paint my armoire red? Easy. Peasy.
You might not consciously remember a dream, but you might wake up with an inspired idea. Inspired ideas are spiritual guidance.
5. Be open. Try not to expect your Spiritual Guides to “show up” in a certain way. Just go with the flow. If you expect them to come to you ONLY in dreams, for example, you might miss a lot of the good stuff during the day.
6. Call in ANY Spirit Guides you want. We have a main guide that sticks with us for life, as well as other guides that come and go. Plus, we can call in specific Guides any time we want! Um, how do I cook an artichoke? Can a cooking guide please help a gal out?
7. Journal with them. What issue are you dealing with right now? Write the issue/question down on a piece of paper. Now set the intention that your Spirit Guides will give you guidance via inspired writing.
Pick up your pen, let your mind go free, and write, baby, write! Don’t worry about grammar or spelling – just go man, go.
You may get a detailed solution or a “starting point”. If you don’t like to write, “journal” by typing on your laptop or iPad.
8. Do a “meet your spirit guide” meditation. Relax, put on some soft music, and imagine meeting your Guides in a beautiful field. Who are they? What do they look like? What are their names? Do they like chocolate? :)
9. Meet your Guides in nature. Some people haaaate meditating. That’s OK. If meditation isn’t your thing, get out in the fresh air instead. Go smell the flowers. Take a walk. Sit at the park. Print out some mandalas and color them. As you relax, have a mental “chat” with your Guides. (Here’s a list of meditation alternatives.)
10. Create with them. I believe creating is as important to our souls as exercise is to our bodies. It’s also one of the BEST and most FUN ways of getting in touch with our Spirit Guides and Higher Self!
When we get creative, we let go of our inhibitions. We feel inspired and playful and follow our hearts. Plus, it makes us happy, which raises our vibration. And because Spirit has a high vibrational frequency, raising OUR vibration makes it easier to connect with them.
So go ahead and spend time drawing, painting, singing, knitting, woodworking, or whatever you think of as creative.
11. Practice a Q&A reading for yourself. Sit where you won’t be disturbed for 10-15 minutes. Relax. Call your Spirit Guides in. Don’t worry if you don’t know their names. Just imagine their energy coming close.
Ask them a question that starts with “Why,” or “Should“. For example, Why am I afraid to_______? Why am I having trouble deciding on ___________? Should I ____________?
Listen to the answers. They may just “pop” into your head, or you may get a vision, or have a feeling.
14. Listen to your gut. Have you ever had a feeling that something wasn’t as it should be? Sometimes it’s so strong it’s almost a physical sensation in your stomach?
It seems like when my gut is telling me something, it’s something I need to know right away. Like the other day, when I was at the store and had a strong urge to zip up my purse. I looked over and sure enough, my purse is wide open with my checkbook hanging out! Jeez!
I knew this info was coming from my Spirit Guides because it was so sudden and intense.
Plus, my mind was a million miles away from my purse, as I was trying to pick out a new lamp – so I knew it was my Guides.
BTW, if you get lots of gut feelings, you’ll want to read this post about claircognizance (psychic knowing).
As with all spiritual things, the most important points are to ask for what you need (set your intention) and trust that it will be given to you. Your Spiritual Guides are just waiting to help you!