There are six types of psychic ability. And as you’ll see in a minute, they’re super simple to understand!
Best of all, you can use your gifts to help others. Or, you can just use them in your own life to make it more awesome.
Oh, and did I mention? This is all really fun!
Psychic Ability is like Snapchat or Facebook
Social media and modern technology are great because they help us all stay connected.
Psychic ability is awesome, too, because it helps us get connected with spiritual guidance and energetic “signals.”
My teenagers post practically everything (except maybe the color of their underwear) on social media.
The other day, my daughter gave our cat a bath. Of course, she had to share this exciting information with everyone on FB!
But the way we each found out was different:
- Some saw her Snapchat story: Picture of cat in the tub with caption, MY BABY
- Some read her Facebook post: OMG! I just legit gave my cat a bath!
- I got a text: Mom, I gave Sammy a bath. I only used 12 towels.
- Nana got a phone call: Do you think mom will be mad that I used 12 towels to give Sammy a bath?
The point is, we all got the message – even though the way in which we got the message was different.
Psychic ability and intuition work the same way. But instead of Facebook posts, Snapchats, and texts, we receive information through the different types of psychic abilities known as the clairs.
Psychic Abilities List – The Clairs
Seriously, you don’t have to be Theresa Caputo to have psychic ability. Anyone can begin to strengthen these abilities and you don’t have to be a professional psychic or medium to do so.
Let’s look at a few examples of how we could receive information with our psychic ability:
- Clairsentience – Intuitive feelings. Having a sense about a person, place, or situation because you can feel things energetically. Being an empath is a form of clairsentience and means you feel the emotions of others.
Example: As an empath, you feel overwhelming joy when your friend gives birth – as if it were happening to you.
- Clairaudience – Psychic hearing.
Example: You’re driving along and, in your head, you hear, “turn right.” When you turn, you discover your favorite coffee shop is selling lattes for $1 today! Yay!
- Clairvoyance – Psychic seeing with the third eye or “psychic eye.”
Example: You’re at a cocktail party and you see faint colors around people – their aura. Cool? Oh yes, indeed.
- Claircognizance – Psychic knowing
Example: Your daughter asks if she can go play at her new friend’s house. Your answer: Namasta-NO! You don’t know why, you just KNOW that house is bad news.
- Clairgustance – Psychic tasting
- Clairalience – Psychic smelling
Let’s go into a little more depth about the list of psychic abilities:
Clairvoyance: You receive psychic information in pictures, symbols, and little “movies in your head.”
Without a doubt, clairvoyance is one of the most recognized types of psychic ability.
It means you can see with your third eye or psychic eye.
I know a psychic eye sounds spooky, but it’s not.
It just means that when you get psychic information, you get it visually, usually in your mind’s eye.
You won’t see a Spirit sitting on your couch, scrolling her SnapChat feed, but you might see a color, number, or pieces of an event in your head.
You might even see an entire scene unfold in your mind!
It’s pretty subtle for the most part, and you may not even understand what the message means. Why am I seeing a cat in a bathtub?
Clairvoyance Myth: You won’t see creepy ghosties like in the movie Sixth Sense.
Clairvoyance is a really fun psychic ability to develop! Here are some posts that will help you fully understand and develop it:
- What Every Newbie Should Know About Clairvoyance
- Signs You’re Clairvoyant
- 6 Ways to Develop Psychic Seeing
- How to Trust Your Clairvoyant Experiences in Spite of Doubt
Clairsentience: The psychic ability that means you receive intuitive information in the form of feelings, emotions, or physical sensations. Being an empath is also part of clairsentience.
If you’re clairsentient you might:
- not be able to use/borrow other people’s stuff or shop at consignment stores
- feel like a “sponge” because you feel the emotions of others
- feel energy overwhelm when around too many people
- get drained quickly when around people
Have you ever felt this way?
- Do you pick up on the thoughts and feelings of other people around you?
- Do you feel like you need to curl up with your fuzzy blanket in a quiet room after a party?
- Do you avoid the news because it’s SO painful for you to watch? Or maybe you saw an animal shelter commercial on TV and now you can’t sleep because your heart is broken? *Gulp* Been there, done that!
Here’s a post with 12 signs that clairsetience is one of your psychic abilities!
Many clairsentients know for certain if they are being lied to or if someone is elaborating or hiding parts of a story. If you’re clairsentient, you’d probably rock on the TV show, Big Brother!
If you’re an empath, you may feel twinges of pain when others are in pain – have a headache (yuck), or cramps (double yuck).
As a clairsentient myself, I can tell you that it’s super important to learn how to control your gift so that you don’t feel drained. This post will give you some tips on how to do the same.
Here are some more clairsentience posts that you will find super helpful:
- Clairsentient Psychic Beginner’s Guide (seriously, everything you need to know!)
- What Does it Feel Like to Have a Clairsentient Experience
- 6 Ways to Develop Clairsentience (that actually work)
Clairaudience: Psychic ability that means you receive intuitive information in the form of words, phrases, blocks of thought, music, or other sounds and Spirit voices via the auditory channel.
Clairaudience is usually heard inside your own head. If you’re sitting next to someone, they won’t hear it.
Think of clairaudience as an INNER hearing.
Why is it internal?
Well, if Spirit started talking out loud like the voice of James Earl Jones, I think that would be kinda scary!
- Sometimes, clairaudience sounds like that “little voice” from within.
- It would be fantastic if our clairaudience had a cool British accent, but it usually just sounds like our own voice in our own head.
- Can feel like “blocks of thought” that pop into your head.
- You might even hear a warning, such as Stop! Or a message such as, Lattes on sale at the coffee shop!
Clairaudience is such a fascinating psychic ability, that I wrote a whole series about it. You can read it here:
- Understanding and Developing Clairaudience Like a Pro
- 11 Signs You Might be Clairaudient
- 5 Exercises to Develop Psychic Hearing
- How to KNOW You’re Having a Clairaudient Experience
Claircognizance: The psychic ability to just KNOW something without any logic or facts. An inner knowing.
If it’s ever happened to you, you just know what you know.
You don’t know why you know – but boy, the message is loud and clear inside you.
Claircognizant feelings can be very strong and come on as a flash of insightful, random thoughts.
Claircognizance might show up like this:
- You hear that your friend was diagnosed with an illness, but you KNOW he’ll be OK.
- You’re about to sign a contract, but you know there is a mistake in it.
- You awaken at night with an insightful answer to a problem.
- Here’s a post with 5 Foolproof Ways to Tell Your Inner Knowing is Spot On (and it’s not just your imagination)
It’s wonderful when we honor and act upon our claircognizance. These messages are a gift, for sure :)
More Claircognizant (Inner Knowing) Goodness:
- Being Claircognizant: Ultimate Guide to Psychic Knowing
- 7 Exercises to Develop Claircognizance
- Surefire Signs that Claircognizance is One of Your Psychic Gifts
Clairalience: Is a fancy word that means psychic smelling. It’s the ability to smell fragrances from the spiritual realm… flowers, perfume, pineapples (why not?)!
Lots of times, Spirit uses our clairalience to let us know they’re around.
You might suddenly get a whiff of pineapple upside-down cake, and know your auntie in heaven (whose signature dessert was pineapple upside-down cake) is around you.
Clairgustance: Our last psychic ability is clairgustance which means an inner tasting; that is, you can taste things like chocolate without eating chocolate. Joy to the world!
This isn’t the most popular psychic ability, but it can be useful in giving mediumship readings. For example, if a Spirit loved to eat chocolate covered cherries, the medium might sense or taste chocolate.
Which of the psychic abilities did you discover that you have?
Now that you know about all of the psychic gifts, let’s figure out which ones you have! This fun post will help you discover which natural psychic abilities you have. Get cozy and get reading. :)