Develop Psychic Ability
“I want to develop psychic ability, but I feel stuck!”
Hey there… I get asked about this a LOT. This post will take the pressure off you, and help you get unstuck — almost effortlessly!
I received the following email from a member of the Intuitive Souls community. My answer is below.
Q: I’ve still not met my Guides after more than a year and feel like I’m walking this path alone. There’s not one development circle around where I live. Every ounce of my learning comes from blogs and books. I’ve tried and practiced every tip and trick for more than a year now but I just feel stuck.
It’s going to be okay; let’s get unstuck.
Why Spirit Guides?
You’ll hear me say over and over that connecting with your Spirit Guides is important during your psychic development journey.
Your Guides connect with you via your intuition, are wise, and can empower you with their divine guidance — so of course it’s a good idea to get to know them.
But connecting to your Spirit Guides can seem like a really abstract idea. I mean, how do you actually reach out and build a relationship with them? It’s not like you can have a meet and greet with them.
The good news is that there are many ways the connect to your Spirit Guides (starting with simply setting the intention to do so), but the tip I’m going to give you today is one of the easiest to get started with…
In fact, you can do it as soon as you’re done with this post and your latte!
If I were you, this is what I would do to develop psychic ability and not feel stuck:
Step 1: Name Your Guide
This is so easy and works so well that it’s going to knock your socks off…
Pick a name for your Spirit Guide (you have many Guides, but let’s connect with one for starters).
It doesn’t matter that you don’t know who they are on a conscious level (yet), because you DO know them on a spiritual level.
So, just choose a name you like (when I created this exercise in 2001, I picked the name Esmerelda).
You could name your Guide after your favorite TV or movie character, or your BFF imaginary friend from your childhood days.
The point is to take the pressure off yourself, because:
It’s much easier to strengthen your psychic abilities when you trust your instincts and go with the flow. In fact, allowing yourself to trust and go with the flow is key to your increasing your intuitive gifts.
By the way, gender doesn’t matter, either.
If you have a sense that your Guide has a masculine or female energy and want to name accordingly, great. If not, no worries.
They don’t mind, I promise.
So Esmeralda might be a Nate — he won’t mind.
Tip: If you want, you could pick a “gender neutral” name you like, like Peyton, Riley, or Avery.
Got your name picked out? Great, let’s move on to step two.
Step 2: Start Talking to Your Guides
Once you’ve named your Spirit Guide it’s time to start talking with them.
No, I don’t mean sit down and meditate (for ONCE). I mean to have a casual chat with them.
And no, you don’t have to go around talking to yourself; you can chat it up with your Guides in your mind – Spirit communication is telepathic, anyway!
So, next time you are standing in the kitchen and have no idea what to make for dinner again, ask for intuitive guidance.
- Take a relaxing breath.
- In your mind, imagine talking to your Guide as if they are with you (they are).
- Ask about whatever you need guidance on. Then, pay attention.
- Do you have a nudge to check out your fav cooking blog, only to find that they’ve posted a new recipe with the exact ingredients you have on hand? Or, maybe you feel inspired to take a little of everything and create something unique! Perhaps you get the feeling that you should order a pizza and give your sister a call instead… only to discover that she’s had a bad week and really needs to talk.
Practice asking for intuitive guidance each day on big and small issues…
Where should I park? Should I buy one pound of apples or two?
Then, be mindful of nudges, gut feelings, inspired feelings, and that ‘little voice inside’.
Doing this will strengthen your intuition and quickly get you unstuck in your psychic development.
Once you start doing this every day, it will feel more natural, and you will quickly learn to trust the intuitive guidance you receive!
Bonus: Intuitive Exercise
Intuitively “reading” old family photos is another great way to develop psychic ability.
- Grab a picture of a great grandparent or aunt/uncle that you never met.
- Sit in a quiet space with the photo, a pen, and paper.
- Allow yourself to relax; sit with your feet up and sip tea if you want to!
- As you look at the photo, be mindful of what you are thinking and feeling.
- Get a sense about the person in the photo, such as their personality? (clairsentience)
- Have a sense of knowing? Maybe you know that this person loved to sing… but aren’t sure how you know? (claircognizance)
- Feel any emotions (empathic)?
- See any images or visions in your mind’s eye (clairvoyance)
- Hear anything in your mind, like words or sounds? (clairaudience)
If you fee stuck, imagine you already know things about this person… because intuitively, you do!
You’re sitting on the couch — herbal tea in one hand, photo of your great-great-grandpa in the other.
You sip your tea as you look at the photo, but you don’t feel any psychic vibes.
It’s okay; keep looking at the photo…
He looks like he was a nice/strong/gentle man. Let me write that down. What else? He was a little bit heavy – I wonder what his favorite foods were? I imagine he liked pie. What kind? Lemon… no – apple! What was he like as a child? I imagine he was curious and mischievous! Hey, an image of a lake just popped into my head. I bet he liked spending summers at that lake with friends that lived down the dirt road. Let me write that down…
Do you see how powerful this exercise can be to develop psychic ability?
You can go on and on with this (and even use the same technique with psychometry).
By allowing yourself to relax and go with the flow you’ll shift into “right brain” mode where you can access your intuition.
Develop Psychic Ability Takeaways
- Name your Spirit Guides and chat with them throughout the day to access intuitive guidance in a stress-free way.
- Use the picture exercise a couple of times a week. If you aren’t getting anything, imagine you already know the answers. This gets you into right-brain mode, where your psychic ability resides.