What is the Third Eye?
One of the most common emails I get is: Can you please write about how to open the third eye?
Your third eye (psychic eye) is your 6th chakra and allows you to see things in your mind’s eye. For example, have you ever felt like you were watching a movie in your head? If so, that was your third eye in action!
It’s also the center for clairvoyant ability, which connects you with your intuition through visions and images.
An open and balanced third eye will help you:
- Sense higher energies (like Spirits and angels)
- See auras
- Connect with your Spirit Guides and higher consciousness
- See psychic symbols, visions, and images
- Develop clairvoyance
Where Is Your Third Eye Located?
Your third eye is located between your eyebrows, just above the bridge of your nose. Go ahead and put your finger on it; I know you want to.
All of your chakras are important… but if you want to increase your psychic eye, this is the one to open and keep balanced.
Your third eye is also a chakra. Chakras are energy centers that help balance and regulate different parts of your body.
For example, we have a root chakra that controls our sex, hunger, and survival drive. We also have a crown chakra that connects us with our Higher Self and intuition. There are seven main chakras, and the third eye is your 6th one.
The cool thing about chakras is that they are all powerful and work together. But, if you are a clairvoyant beginner, your third eye chakra is the one you want to focus on... An open and balanced third eye chakra is important for developing clairvoyance.
You may have also heard that your pineal gland is connected to your third eye. Let’s talk about that next.
Third Eye and the Pineal Gland
Your third eye corresponds to the pineal gland where your body makes the melatonin needed to regulate your sleep and circadian rhythms.
The pineal gland’s power (and thus, the third eye’s power) was recognized as early as the 1600’s when the philosopher, Descartes, coined it “the principal seat of the soul.”
That’s a powerful statement, right? I mean, the guy was on to something, for sure!
Now that you know what the pineal gland is, let’s talk about how you can access your intuitive gifts via your psychic eye.
Exercises to Open Your Third Eye
During these exercises, you may notice physical sensations (like tingling) around your brow chakra. This is normal, and a sign that you are activating your third eye!
1. Tap Your Third Eye
Set the intention that you want to open and balance your third eye. Next, place your index finger between your eyebrows (your third eye chakra) and:
- Hold your finger on your third eye and imagine it activating, or…
- Lightly move your finger in a circular motion while imagining your chakra opening, or…
- Gently and slowly tap the area five times while saying “Om”.
You might feel a slight tingling sensation or pressure as your third eye activates and opens!
2. Use Essential Oils
If you’re looking for an easy way to awaken your third eye, look no further!
All you need to do is introduce some essential oils into your life.
Essential oils smell amazing and have many benefits, including opening, cleansing, and balancing the chakras.
- While you’re going about your day, add a few drops of myrrh, sandalwood, or chamomile to your essential oil diffuser. Or, combine them for a fabulous custom blend!
- If you prefer, place a drop of oil on your third eye chakra (be careful not to get any in your eyes).
I use various oils (including lavender) on my third eye and it’s super calming!
Related: The Best Essential Oils for Psychic Development
3. Breathe Mindfully
Another quick tip to get your third eye nice and open is to breathe properly. I know, it sounds so simple!
But most of us only use 1/3 of our lungs when we breathe.
Shallow breathing creates stress in the body and doesn’t allow it to oxygenate the way it needs to. That’s like watching an episode of The Walking Dead and shutting it off before the end — so bad!
How are you breathing right now? Is your belly expanding? It should be.
Breathing deeply from the belly opens and maintains healthy chakras — including your third eye chakra.
Tip: Proper breathing is important for chakra energy to flow, so check in with your breath throughout the day. Your mind and body will thank you for this good habit!
All meditation is beneficial, but some are especially fab for opening the third eye. Best yet?
You only need to use one of these meditations for a few minutes each day to notice a difference!
Close your eyes and breathe deeply for a few moments until you start to feel relaxed. Now, imagine a deep blue or purple ball of energy on your forehead, between your eyebrows. Hold this colored ball image in your mind’s eye for a few minutes.
This meditation works wonderfully, but if it’s hard for you to visualize, you may want to start with one of the others on this list. Remember, you want this to be fun, not frustrating.
- Relax your mind and body by breathing deep and even for a few minutes.
- When you are ready, imagine the number 1 in your mind’s eye. Then, hold the image for a few seconds.
- Next, imagine the number 2 and hold the image in your mind.
- Continue on for as long as your concentration holds, until you reach the number 10.
Tip: you can also envision other things like flowers or letters because the outcome will be the same… an opened third eye!
I experienced this when I was working with an energy healer and it knocked my socks off!
First, get a small amethyst crystal that will lie comfortably on your forehead. Then, lie down and meditate with the amethyst or other clairvoyance crystal on your third eye.
Tip: you can also combine amethyst with one of the other meditations above.
5. Use Crystals
As you may have guessed, one of my favorite ways to keep an open and balanced third eye is to use crystals. Not only are they beautiful, their energetic properties are SO powerful.
Plus, you can use crystals in lots of ways to support your clairvoyance:
- Sleep with an amethyst near your pillow to encourage psychic dreams.
- Place a crystal on your third eye as you meditate for increased clarity.
- Keep a black tourmaline in your pocket when you’re out to ward off negative energy.
- Place a crystal grid under your bed for deeper sleep and overall intuitive development.
Choosing a Crystal
You can use any crystal that calls out to you, but some of my favorites are:
- Amethyst (that gorgeous purple one you’ve seen jewelry made from)
If you’re not sure which one to pick, head to a local shop and wander around — you will feel drawn to one or more.
Visualization exercise 1:
- First, set the intention of opening your third eye chakra, and improving your clairvoyant ability.
- Now, imagine you’re at a concert with your best friends. Picture Jason Aldean shakin’ his booty on stage, the sun setting in the sky, and your boots stomping to the beat on the grass.
- Try to visualize the scene for 2 – 5 minutes.
Visualization exercise 2:
- To start, imagine a yummy basket of blueberries.
- Hold the image in your mind, and picture their different shades of blue.
- Next, imagine sitting on a red and white blanket while eating the blueberries.
- Once you’ve done that, picture cooking the berries and pouring them into a pie crust.
During each step, hold the image in your mind with as much detail as you can. This will help build your clairvoyant muscles and expand your psychic seeing!
Tip: you can also switch the scenes around as you get better at visualization. This way, you’ll always have fun while strengthening your psychic gift.
7. Do yoga
Yoga keeps your body’s energy centers clean, clear and working at top performance. So of course, I have to add in some of the top yoga postures, or asanas, to help you open the third eye.
They are all pretty easy and can be practiced by beginners.
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Standing Half Forward Bend (Ardha Uttanasana)
- Supported Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana)
- Hero (Virasana)
8. Practice seeing auras
All living things have an energy field that surrounds them, known as an aura. And, because seeing auras is a visual experience, learning to see them is a cool way to open your third eye.
The best part, thought? Anyone can learn to see this energy, which is represented by color!
Your aura is like your own personal mood ring — it reflects how you are feeling. The colors can range from a bright, brilliant red to deep, dark shades of gray.
Learning to see your aura, and the aura of others is a fun way to connect with your psychic intuition!
- Here’s a post that will teach you how to see auras
Third Eye Opening Takeaways
Learning how to open your third eye is an important part of intuitive development, and there are many easy and effective ways to do this.
So, allow yourself to experiment and have fun trying different techniques or combinations of them. For example:
Use some essential oils while doing yoga asanas or meditating.
Wear amethyst jewelry instead of putting it on your forehead. You’ll still get the benefit of its healing powers! When you have a few moments, close your eyes and imagine the jewelry on your third eye.
Using these exercises a few minutes daily will move you closer to recognizing your psychic gifts!
Next read: 20 Clairvoyant Exercises and Tips