Let’s talk about aura cleansing. You know that feeling after you (or Merry Maids, we don’t judge here) have just cleaned your house?
Everything feels so fresh, light and airy, right? I always wander around and sit in different parts of the house soaking it up — because heavens knows it won’t last long (all the moms say Amen!). I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s SO much easier to refocus and recenter my mind when clutter and dust is out of my physical space.
Now, are you ready for a truth bomb? If not, close this page super fast because here it comes: Aura cleansing is just as (if not more) important than physical cleansing.
And guess what…. in order to cleanse your aura, you don’t even have to break out the Pine-Sol!
Why is Aura Cleansing so Important?
See, just like our physical spaces, our minds pick up clutter ALL. THE. TIME. This is especially true if you’re an empath or a super intuitive person (which I’m guessing you are or you wouldn’t be here).
Your aura is a direct reflection of what’s going on in your mind.
If you’re in love, you’ll have tons of pink in your aura. If you’re sick… your aura will have some dark, muddy colors in it. Feeling adventurous and loving life?… Your aura will shine a gorgeous shade of vibrant red!
In a nutshell:
- Good thoughts/Feeling good emotionally, physically and spiritually >> Your aura will shine bright like a diamond.
- Negative thoughts/Feeling yucky emotionally, physically or spiritually >> Your aura will be dull and gloomy. (Remember Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh? Yeah, his aura was probably NOT very vivid and beautiful!)
If you want to change and cleanse your aura (the effect), you’ve got to change your mind (the cause). Boom.
“Ooh, I want a sparkly pink aura, but how do I get one?” So glad you asked, friend!
Aura Cleansing Ideas
1. Identify WHAT you are thinking about and HOW you are thinking about it (seriously, this is super important so don’t poo-poo or skip this step).
Whenever you feel like you need to do an aura cleansing, start with this meditation. It’s ALWAYS the starting point… Why?
Because thoughts ARE things. Your thoughts CREATE your aura. It’s mission impossible to have crappy thoughts and have a bright, beautiful aura. IM-POSS-I-BLE.
Try this aura cleansing exercise:
- Sit in a quiet place. Close your eyes and relax your body.
- In your mind, imagine gathering up all of your mental “clutter” – this could negative thoughts about the people you work with, worries about your teenage daughter, financial stress – gather up any icky thoughts that come to mind.
- Now, take all of your mental clutter and imagine tying it all up in a big net and dragging it to front of your mind.
- Next, take a good look at your heap of clutter. When you inspect it closely, you notice that there are colors radiating from the pile. What color do you see? Take your time and look closely. Do you see just one color or many colors? What is the “quality” of the color(s)… Are they muddy? Cloudy? Dull? Do you see any holes or tears?
- Now, you are going to transform this heap into a bright, beautiful light. First, imagine a Divine white light radiating down from the top of your crown chakra (above your head) to the forefront of your mind. The light shines down and radiates through the pile. It touches every nook and cranny of the clutter and the pile begins to illuminate an angelic white glow.
- Take a deep breath. Invite other colors to come in. If you know what colors you’d like to have in your aura (for example, if you want to feel more “alive,” invite in a bright shade of candy apple red), invite that color in now.
- If you don’t know which color you’d like, that’s OK. Simply invite in whatever color is for your best and highest good. It may be a royal blue, divine purple, sunny yellow… the color may sparkle or look luminescent. There is no wrong here.
- Now, imagine the color turning into a big, bright ball of light. Allow the light to wash over your entire body and radiate out into the room.
- Enjoy this feeling as long as you need to.
- When you are ready, open your eyes and carry this wonderful feeling through the rest of your day!
Tip: If you feel at all “flighty” when you are done with this exercise, do something to ground yourself. This post from my sister-site will teach you how to get grounded.
Tip #2: If you want to invite in a specific aura color, but aren’t sure which one, here are some detailed aura color posts:
- Black (yes, even good people can have black in their aura)
If you want to “super-size” your aura cleansing, try the following exercise next – the combo of these two meditations is powerful stuff!
Tip: Diffusing essential oils (see #6 in this post) will give your aura an extra boost!
2. Aura cleansing exercise to change your life
It would be super nice if we could just snap our fingers and change our way of thinking, right? (And fit into last years jeans…)
Changing your thinking and improving your aura does take a little practice, but it’s WELL worth the effort because it can change your ENTIRE outlook on life.
Before we get into how to clear your aura, a little context:
You know how when you’re in a bad mood you seem to remember ALL the terrible things that have happened recently? And then you feel even worse?
Well, we’re doing the opposite here. We are going to intentionally raise your vibration and clear your aura by flooding your mind with things you love.
Sitting quietly to meditate and focus on higher spirituality will provide a more peaceful demeanor for your soul…. and of course, your aura will reflect it! If you’d like, feel free to focus on a specific color during this exercise. :)
Tip: The following exercise is great for aura cleansing “maintenance”. I do this every day and it has improved my life and relationships exponentially!
Life-changing aura cleansing exercise:
- Sit in a comfy spot and close your eyes.
- Take a few deep breaths and think about someone you love (or all of the people that you love!). A partner, a parent, child, pet, friend, Spirit Guide, Jesus… anyone. Now, let your mind be flooded by all of the things that you love about this person… the sound of your daughter’s laugh, the way your partner makes you hot coffee on Sunday morning… Just allow your mind to flood with love and the wonderful, positive attributes and memories of the person(s) you love!
- If you are in a real funk and are having an “I hate everyone,” day, think of SOMETHING that you love – like the smell of hot coffee in the morning (vanilla – yum!) or a favorite memory. It’s also fun to think about funny scenes from your favorite TV shows (Seinfeld quotes, anyone?), fresh flowers, wine, rainy days, naps… you get the idea.
3. Check in With Nature
Never underestimate the power of Mother Nature. Ever.
So here’s the deal: finish this post (duh), then, head on outside, kick your shoes off and let your feet feel the dirt. Yes, really! Being barefoot in nature allows for the flow of energy from your body into the earth and rids you of negative energy.
It doesn’t get any easier than that!
If you focus on changing your energy while being in nature, you will create a healing of your energy system, and brighten up your aura proportionately.
Bonus tip: you can also wrap your arms around a tree to drain negative energy! Yes, I’m sayin’ hug a tree :)
4. Take an Aura Cleansing Bath
If we’re being honest (and we are), this is my favorite aura cleansing method. All you need to do is:
- Put on some background music.
- Add some Epsom salts to the tub (about 1/2 a cup).
- Pour 3 -4 drops of lavender essential oil (frankincense or jasmine oil is great, too) into the water.
- Soak in the tub and mentally focus on the bath salts removing the negativity from your energy fields and cleansing your aura.
- Rubber ducky: optional :)
BTW, aura cleansing baths are so awesome that I wrote a whole blog post about them here.
5. Sage Yourself
Sage has been around since like the dawn of time and is excellent for clearing your home, car, and body.
There are two ways you can sage yourself:
- Burn sage. Get a sage stick at a metaphysical store or online. Light the top of the sage with a match or lighter and, starting at the head and working down to the feet, allow the sage smoke to go all around you. Of course, make sure you have an Abolone shell or fireproof bowl to collect the ashes. Set the intention that you are cleansing your aura with the sage smoke.
- Sage spray. Burning sage is great, but I LOVE my sage spray. I keep bottles of it in my house and in my car. You use the spray pretty much the same way you use the smoke. DON’T spray it directly on you, just kind of spritz it over your head (make sure you don’t have on any clothes that will stain and don’t get it in your eyes) and set the intention that you are cleansing your aura. Easy peasy!
If you’re a newbie to sage smudging, this post will teach you exactly how to use sage.
6. Use Essential Oils in a Diffuser
Essential oils are amazing for oh… just about anything, including clearing your aura!
All you need is a diffuser with a few drops of good quality essential oils added. I LOVE to diffuse oils when I’m doing the first two exercises in this post. Diffusing + meditation = A double dose of aura cleansing goodness!
The best essential oils for clearing your aura are:
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Sage essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Cypress oil
Tip: It’s fun to experiment with blending essential oils! Try some lavender and sage oil in your diffuser for a divine and powerful combo.
When it comes down to it, there are so many aura cleansing methods. However, the most important thing to remember is to use the methods that feel best to YOU.
If you’re outside and just not feeling it — go back in and take a hot bath! There isn’t an exact science to it. It’s all about opening yourself up and understanding what’s going on. Act accordingly and be kind to yourself. Your aura (and mind) will thank you.