Let’s talk about aura cleansing. You know that feeling after you (or Merry Maids, we don’t judge here) have just cleaned your house?
Everything feels so fresh, light and airy, right? I always wander around and sit in different parts of the house soaking it up — because heaven knows it won’t last long (all the moms say Amen!)
I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s SO much easier to recenter my mind when clutter and dust is out of my physical space.
And now, are you ready for a truth bomb? If not, close this page super-fast because here it comes:
Aura cleansing is just as (if not more) important than physical cleansing.
And guess what? In order to cleanse your aura, you don’t even have to break out the Pine-Sol! Woo-hoo!
Why is Aura Cleansing so Important?
Your aura is a direct reflection of what’s going on in your mind.
So if you’re in love, you’ll have tons of pink in your aura. If you’re sick, your aura will have dark, muddy colors in it. Feeling adventurous and loving life? Your aura will shine a gorgeous shade of vibrant red!
In a nutshell:
- Good thoughts (or feeling good emotionally, physically and spiritually)… Your aura will shine bright like a diamond.
- Negative thoughts (or feeling yucky emotionally, physically or spiritually)… Your aura will be dull and gloomy. (Remember Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh? Yeah, his aura was probably NOT vivid and beautiful!)
If you want to change and cleanse your aura (the effect), you’ve got to change your mind (the cause). Boom.
“Ooh, I want a sparkly pink aura, but how do I get one?” So glad you asked, friend!
Aura Cleansing Ideas
1. Identify WHAT you are thinking about and HOW you are thinking about it
(Seriously, this is important so don’t poo-poo or skip this step.)
Whenever you feel like you need to do an aura cleansing, start with the following meditation. It’s ALWAYS the starting point… Why?
Because thoughts ARE things. Your thoughts CREATE your aura. It’s mission impossible to have crappy thoughts and have a bright, beautiful aura. IM-POSS-I-BLE.
To change your thoughts, try this aura cleansing exercise:
- Sit in a quiet place. Close your eyes and relax your body.
- In your mind, imagine gathering up all your mental “clutter” and icky thoughts… negative thoughts about people at work, worries about your kids, financial stress, etc.
- Now, take your mental clutter and imagine tying it up in a big net. Then, drag it to the front of your mind.
- Next, take a look at your heap of clutter. When you inspect it, you notice that there are colors radiating from the pile. What color(s) do you see? Take your time and look closely. Do you see one color or many? What is the “quality” of the color(s)? Are they muddy? Cloudy? Dull? Do you see any holes or tears?
- Now, you are going to transform this heap into a bright, beautiful light. Start by imagining a white light beaming down from the top of your crown chakra (above your head) to the front of your mind. The light shines down and radiates through the pile. It touches every nook and cranny of the clutter and the pile begins to illuminate with an angelic white glow.
- Next, take a breath and invite other colors to come in. (For example, if you want to feel more “alive,” invite in a bright shade of candy apple red.) If you don’t know which color you’d like, invite in the color that is for your highest good. It may be a royal blue or sunny yellow… the color may sparkle or be luminescent. There is no wrong here.
- Now, imagine the color turning into a big, bright ball of light. Allow the light to wash over your entire body and radiate out into the room.
- Enjoy this feeling as long as you need to. And when you are ready, open your eyes and carry this wonderful feeling through the rest of your day!
Before we move onto the next aura cleansing idea, here are some tips.
- If you feel “flighty” when you are done with this exercise, do something to ground yourself.
- Diffusing essential oils (see #6 in this post) during the exercise will give your aura an extra boost!
- Want to invite a specific color in, but aren’t sure which one? Here are some aura color posts that will help:
- Black (yes, even good people can have black in their aura)
And if you want to “super-size” your aura cleansing, try the following exercise. The combo of this meditation and the next is powerful stuff!
2. Aura cleansing exercise to change your life
It would be super nice if we could snap our fingers and change our way of thinking, right? (And fit into last years jeans.)
But changing your thinking and improving your aura does take a little practice. It’s well worth the effort, though, because it can change your ENTIRE outlook on life.
Before we get into how to clear your aura, a little context:
You know how when you’re in a bad mood you seem to remember ALL the terrible things that have happened recently? And then you feel even worse?
Well, we’re doing the opposite here. We are going to raise your vibration and clear your aura by flooding your mind with things you love.
Sitting quietly to focus on loving thoughts will provide peace for your soul. And of course, your aura will reflect it! (If you’d like, feel free to focus on a specific color during this exercise.)
Tip: The following exercise is great for aura cleansing “maintenance.” I do this every day and it has improved my life and relationships exponentially!
Life-changing aura cleansing exercise:
- Sit in a comfy spot and close your eyes.
- Take a few deep breaths and think about someone you love (or all the people you love!) It could be a partner, parent, child, pet, friend, Spirit Guide, Jesus — anyone.
- Now, let your mind be flooded by all the things that you love about this person… the sound of your daughter’s laugh, the way your partner makes you coffee on Sunday morning. Let your mind be flooded with love and the positive attributes and memories of the person(s).
- If you are in a real funk and are having an “I hate everyone” day, think of SOMETHING you love — like the smell of hot coffee in the morning (vanilla, yum!) or a favorite memory. It’s also fun to think about funny scenes from your favorite TV shows (Seinfeld quotes, anyone?), fresh flowers, wine, rainy days, naps. You get the idea.
Feeling refreshed? Awesome! Let’s check out another aura cleansing idea.
3. Check in With Nature
Never underestimate the power of Mother Nature. Ever.
So here’s the deal: finish this post (duh), then, head on outside, kick your shoes off and let your feet feel the dirt. Yes, really! Why?
Because being barefoot in nature allows negative energy to flow from your body into the earth. This rids you of negative energy. (And don’t worry, that energy gets “recycled” into good energy when it hits the Earth.)
It doesn’t get any easier than that!
Focusing on healing your energy while out in nature helps balance it and brighten your aura.
Bonus tip: you can also wrap your arms around a tree to drain negative energy! Yes, I’m sayin’ hug a tree :)
4. Take an Aura Cleansing Bath
If we’re being honest (and we are), this is my favorite aura cleansing method. All you need to do is put on some background music, then:
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salts to the tub.
- Next, pour 8 – 10 drops of lavender essential oil into the water. (Frankincense or jasmine oil is great, too.)
- Last, soak in the tub and focus on the bath salts removing negative energy and cleansing your aura.
- Rubber ducky: optional :)
BTW, aura cleansing baths are so awesome that I wrote a whole blog post about them here.
5. Sage Yourself
Sage has been around since, like, the dawn of time and is excellent for clearing your home, car, and body.
There are two ways you can ‘sage’ yourself:
- Burn sage. Get a sage stick at a metaphysical store or online. Light the top of the sage, and, starting at the head and working down to the feet, allow the sage smoke to go all around you. Of course, make sure you have an Abalone shell or fireproof bowl to collect the ashes. Also set the intention that you are cleansing your aura with the sage smoke.
- Sage spray. Burning sage is great, but I LOVE my sage spray. I keep bottles of it in my house and in my car. You use the spray pretty much the same way you use the smoke. But, DON’T spray it directly on you… just kind of spritz it over your head. (Make sure you don’t have on any clothes that will stain and don’t get it in your eyes.) Also set the intention that you are cleansing your aura. Easy peasy!
If you’re a newbie to sage smudging, this post will teach you exactly how to use sage.
6. Use Essential Oils in a Diffuser
Essential oils are amazing for oh… just about anything, including clearing your aura!
All you need is a diffuser with a few drops of good quality essential oils added. I LOVE to diffuse oils when I’m doing the first two exercises in this post. Diffusing + meditation = A double dose of aura cleansing goodness!
The best essential oils for clearing your aura are:
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Sage essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Cypress oil
Tip: It’s fun to experiment with blending essential oils! Try some lavender and sage oil in your diffuser for a divine and powerful combo.
- Also read: 7 Ways to Clear Negative Energy
Aura Cleansing Takeaways
When it comes down to it, there are so many aura cleansing methods. But the most important thing to remember is to use the methods that feel best to YOU.
So, if you’re outside and not feeling it — go back in and take a hot bath! There isn’t an exact science to it. Instead, it’s about opening yourself up and understanding what’s going on. Trust your intuition and be kind to yourself. Your aura (and mind) will thank you.