Spiritual health is more important today than ever before. With all of negativity flying around, social media drama, and gossip at work — it’s easy to get sucked in and feel like you want to move to an island to sell homemade hats!
But before you pack up your boat, consider this:
Picture the woman in the school pickup line wearing turquoise jewelry and yoga pants. You know who I mean. Everything about her seems calm.
Kids are running around, crossing guards are stressed, people are honking, and she looks like she just emerged from a bubble bath after enjoying a few glasses of wine.
She gives off a whole different vibe of love, joy, calm, and peace.
So, what’s her secret? She has spiritual health.
Spiritual health provides calm in the madness. It allows us to live life with more peace and less stress, which leads to the ultimate meaning of life – JOY.
That is why spiritual health is so important. It can make the difference between a life that you love and feeling stressed out and unhappy.
Spiritual Health Benefits
Spiritual health not only leads us to inner bliss, it also allows us to:
- Listen and TRUST our intuition.
- Follow our hearts (which lead us down the path to the most joy).
- Not sweat the small stuff.
- Make decisions with ease.
- Let go of anger.
- Feel love for ourselves (and better self-care!)
- Have more love for others.
- Live a joyful life without feeling guilty.
- Feel connected and supported on a divine level.
- Let go of jealousy.
I mean, no one is going to complain with those results, right?
Spiritual health has everything to do with joy and living a life of gratitude. It’s seeing life through a different lens with deeper and richer meaning.
The Day Spiritual Health Changed My Life
I’ll never forget my Reiki Master friend telling me this story.
She was driving when, out of the blue, someone threw a rock at her car. The rock hit the windshield, broke it, and injured her.
But instead of becoming irate and wanting revenge, she said the most profound thing I had ever heard:
I wonder what happened in that person’s life to make them so angry to do such a thing.
She went on to send them love and light.
Take a moment and allow that story to sink in.
When I heard that story it brought tears to my eyes and I decided, right there on the spot, that I was going to live a spiritually healthy life of peace, love, and Zen.
Connecting with Your Higher Self
In a nutshell, spiritual health simply means you are in touch with your soul (also known as your Higher Self).
It’s important to know this about spiritual health
Before you buy 12 sets of Mala beads, trade in your jeans for yoga pants and give up coffee (you don’t need to give up coffee to have spiritual health), it’s important to know that enhancing your spiritual health is just like any other type of regimen — it takes practice and patience.
When you want to get your body in shape, it doesn’t happen overnight, right? It takes time, dedication, sweating it out at the gym, and discipline.
Spiritual health is the same way, except instead of weights, spin class and giving up carbs, you’ll be practicing things like:
Pro tip: It’s also important to note that once you are living a spiritually aware life, the world won’t magically become perfect, and neither will you.
The dog may still poop on the carpet, the IRS might audit you, and your air conditioner may decide to call it quits when it’s 98 degrees outside.
Living a spiritually aware life doesn’t mean that we won’t ever get angry or frustrated or sad.
All of those emotions are part of the human experience and are important for many reasons.
The beautiful thing is that when we are spiritually healthy and in tune, we are able to see things from a deeper perspective and deal with them in a calmer, more positive and uplifting way.
Tips for Getting Spiritually Healthy
- Start small and don’t overwhelm yourself. Building your spiritual muscles takes time.
- Set an intention. For example, when you wake up in the morning, say a prayer and set a mantra for the day. I am divinely loved and supported. I am a child of God. I am surrounded by angels. There is no right or wrong. Any mantra that feels good in your soul is wonderful!
- Set time aside to meditate each day. As Jerry Hicks said when his wife said she didn’t have time to meditate, “You don’t have time NOT to.”
- Write a gratitude list. List at least 20 things you are grateful for.
- Journal. Write out what your perfect day would look like or a love letter to yourself. Journal anything that makes you feel good and uplifted!
- Laugh every day. Be sure to have some fun, too! Sing, dance, paint, play with your Zen Garden, or whatever else makes your heart happy. (See one of my fav Zen Garden’s here.)
Pro tip: Set a personal mantra that reminds you of the “big picture”.
For example, my mantra is, “It is well with my soul.” I used to have a wooden sign in my bedroom with this quote painted on it. Each day, when I woke up, and each night when I went to bed, I would see the sign hanging there.
To this day, when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed, I close my eyes and repeat the words, “It is well with my soul”.
It immediately calms me and puts me in touch with my Higher Self. It reminds me that there is much more to life than what we see in front of us.
We are all spiritual beings and the madness that takes place in life is temporary.
At the end of the day, we can choose to live amongst the chaos, or we can choose to get spiritually healthy and live lives of peace, meaning, and joy – all while inspiring others, laughing, and raising the vibration of the planet.