What is numerology? You might know it has to do with numbers and their meanings, but what exactly is it?
How does it work? How can I learn it? Are there different types?
In a nutshell, numerology is a powerful tool that you can use to discover your talents, strengths, challenges, and life purpose.
You can also use it to uncover how certain people will “mesh” together; that includes love compatibility!
More importantly, you can use it to learn more about yourself and improve your life.
Today you’ll learn:
- The four main parts of your numerology forecast and what they are
- How to calculate each of these numbers accurately
- The meaning of your numbers (which will give you major clarity!)
Get an accurate numerology forecast with this tool:
What is Numerology?
Numerology is the study of numbers and is made up of four unique areas. We’ll expand on each of these in detail below, but here’s a quick overview:
- Life path number – Calculated using your date of birth, this powerful number reveals your vibe, and what your soul is here to experience (life purpose). It also helps you discover spiritual and emotional challenges.
- Soul urge number – Uncovers your deep, spiritual soul level truths using your name.
- Karmic (destiny) number – Tells your hopes, secret fears, dreams, and reveals how others see you.
- Expression number – Reveals your strengths and weaknesses, talents and potential.
Numerology has been around for centuries, and has ancient origins stemming from China, India, Greece, Egypt, and even the Bible! It’s like a universal language that crosses all cultures and countries, and can even give you insight about your name!
What numerology can tell you
In numerology, each letter of the alphabet corresponds to a single digit number from 1 – 9; it also uses double digit numbers 11 and 22, which are powerful Master numbers (more about them later).
By “decoding” the letters and numbers of your name using a numerology chart, you can get accurate insight about:
- Your personality traits
- What your soul’s purpose is
- Potential spiritual and emotional limitations
- Hidden talents you may have
- The truth about how others see you
- Your values and ethics (super important for compatibility!)
- Your hopes, dreams, and hidden fears
You can then apply this knowledge to empower your love life, career, and spiritual life and growth — because numerology really works.
And because numerology really works, you can use it to create stronger bonds and relationships.
Let’s say your oldest child’s date of birth was August 7, 2000, and your youngest child was born on April 17, 2005. By decoding their life paths, you can understand why they keep arguing — and discover how to help them based on the cosmos!
How Numerology Works
The theory in numerology is that numbers hold certain energetic vibrations.
To understand this idea, think of numbers as musical notes:
Did you ever see the movie Star Wars? Remember the theme music? It’s one of the most recognizable musical scores of any movie, ever!
We could say that the energy (or vibration) of the Star Wars music is serious and intense.
In numerology, the vibration of the numbers is like a musical score. Except instead of music, the number produces a vibration or energy.
Depending upon the position of the number, it may produce “music” that is cyclic (temporary), or that vibrates through your entire life.
Now that you are familiar with the basics, let’s find your Life Path number!
Your Life Path Number
Did you ever lay awake at night and wonder why you’re here?
Well, your Life Path number helps you get clarity about your purpose, and:
- The lessons you set out to learn in this lifetime
- The challenges that may come up as you try to learn them
- Your natural-born gifts
This important number is calculated using your date of birth (which carries hefty weight in numerology).
Once you understand its meaning, you will have a better understanding of yourself, why you are here, and how you can live your best life. Learn how to calculate it below, or use this tool for great results:
How your life path is calculated
Calculating your birth number is easy:
- Write out your birth date, like this: 07-17-1974
- Add the numbers of your birth month. July is: 0 + 7 = 7
- Now, add the numbers of the day you were born, and reduce to a single number. The 17th would be: 1 + 7 = 8
- Next, add up your birth year: 1+9+7+4= 21. Then, reduce until you get a single number: 2 + 1 = 3
- Add the three numbers together: 7 + 8 + 3 = 18.
- If you get an 11 or 22, stop (these are master numbers). Otherwise, add the numbers together to get a single digit: 1 + 8 = 9. Read the meaning of your number below.
- The Life Path number in this example is 9.
Your Expression number (a.k.a. destiny number) is the next part of your forecast, and uses your name to add depth to your Life Path number.
- For example, your Life Path number is like the trailer for your fav movie — it gives you the overview and highlights of the story.
- Your Expression number is the feature-length film, where you get to see the details of how everything is destined to play out!
Your Destiny number gives you insight into your skills, talents and potential. It reveals:
- The things you’re good at (even if you don’t know it yet!). For example, do you love helping others? You might embrace your gifts and study nursing!
- Emotional challenges that can thwart you from living up to your potential.
Tip: Some numerologists believe that if we don’t fulfill the ideals of this number, we can feel restless, depressed and unfulfilled because we are not expressing our TRUE selves.
How your expression number is calculated
- Use the chart below (or download it) to assign a number to each letter of your full, legal birth name. For this example, we will use the name Jane Mary Smith:
- J(1) A(1) N(5) E(5)
- M(4) A(1) R(9) Y(7)
- S(1) M(4) I(9) T(2) H(8)
- Now, add the digits of your first name. Jane: 1+1+5+5=12, and reduce to a single digit: 1+2=3.
- Repeat for your middle and last name, and reduce: Mary: 4+1+9+7=21 (2+1=3), Smith: 1+4+9+2+8=24 (2+4=6).
- Next, add the single digit values of your first, middle, and last name. In this example, we’ll add 3+3+6=12. If you get an 11 or 22, stop, otherwise, reduce the value to a single digit: 1+2=3.
- The Expression number in this example is 3.
Fun fact: It is said that your parents intuitively chose your name before your birth to match your energy!
Your Soul Urge Number
Your Soul Urge number (a.k.a., Heart’s Desire number) is the most spiritual part of your forecast, and introduces you to who you are on a deep, soulful level.
It also gives you insight about your values, ethics, and what you really want — and how that inspires you in this lifetime.
You see, what you value is incredibly important to your happiness.
For example, I highly value art, interior design, and architecture. I also discovered through my Soul Urge number that I value mastery. For me, it’s not about accomplishing a goal, but the process of mastering tasks that lights me up.
Because I know what I value, it’s easy and less stressful to make decisions in life (even hard ones!)
Now, instead of criticizing myself for not sticking to one thing, I go with the flow, and embrace my heart’s desires!
How your soul urge number is calculated
- Write out your full birth name (no nicknames or married names)
- Assign a numeric value to each vowel of your name: A=1, E=5, I=9, O=6, U=3, Y=7. In this example:
- J A(1) N E(5)
- M A(1) R Y
- S M I(9) T H
- Now, add the numbers, and reduce any double digits to a single digit:
- Jane: 1+5=6
- Mary: 1
- Smith: 9
- Add these numbers together: 6+1+9=16. Reduce again until you get a single digit (1+6=7), or an 11 or 22.
- The soul urge number in this example is 7.
Note: If you have a Y in your name, it’s up to you if you want to include it as a vowel or not.
Some numerologists strictly consider Y a consonant, others a vowel; and for a third group, it depends on whether the Y has a “vowel” sound (example: the Y in Kelly would not be a vowel, but the Y in Yvette — because it sounds like an “E” — would). Don’t overthink it, just trust your intuition.
Your Karmic Number
Your Karmic number (a.k.a. personality number) reveals your hopes, dreams, secret fears, and how others view you.
How your karmic number is calculated
- Write out your full birth name, and use the chart above to assign a number to each consonant:
- J(1) A N(5) E
- M(4) A R(9) Y(7)
- S(1) M(4) I T(2) H(8)
- Add the numbers. 1+5+4+9+7+1+4+2+8 = 41.
- Since the numbers do not add up to 11 or 22, add the 4 + 1 to get 5.
- The Karmic number in this example is 5 (read your meaning below).
Once you have your number(s), select it from the list below to learn what it means, or, get a personal reading here.
Here are my favorite books for numerology beginners:
- The Complete Book of Numerology is fabulous, and put out by the trusted publisher, Hay House.
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. This is a 5-star book is also by Hay House, Inc.
- The Power of Birthdays, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. Another 5-star favorite which weaves in numerology and astrology!
Different Types of Numerology
There are many different types of numerology, and some of them have been around for thousands of years. They are:
Kabbalah Numerology (Hebrew Numerology)
Though numerology is not a religion (it’s metaphysical… based on energy, numeric values, and astrology), some believe that Moses founded it when God gave him the Kabbalah.
The Kabbalah embraces the idea that true knowledge and wisdom come through your Higher Self (a.k.a. soul) and mind, not the Ego (physical body).
- 22 vibrations (energies) ranging from 1 to 400
- Originally developed from the Greek alphabet
- The New Kabbalah developed to be used with the modern Roman alphabet
- Some Pythagorean methods (see below)
Chaldean numerology originated from ancient Babylon, and uses some of the Kabbalah name interpretations. It also blends in some aspects of astrology.
- Nine is a holy number
- Compound numbers are always used
- Single numbers represent the external aspects of a person
- Double digits represent the inner aspects of a person
The Greek philosopher and mathematician, Pythagoras, is the “Father” of numerology. That’s because the majority believed he developed the Pythagorean system (which is said to be the best).
Who was Pythagoras?
You might remember him from geometry class. He was the one that said something about the hypotenuse of a right triangle being equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides of the triangle.
Lucky for us, he was also interested in spiritual development!
Pythagoras swirled his love of math and metaphysics together, resulting in Pythagorean numerology. Brilliant!
- Like the Chaldean system, it analyzes names and birth dates, and the interaction between the two
- Uses the numbers one through nine and Master numbers 11 and 22
Numerology is the metaphysical study of number combinations and their meanings, which can reveal your strengths and weaknesses.
This system uses the single numbers 1 – 9, and double digit Master numbers (11 and 22). Each of these numbers holds a specific energy.
By using a numerology chart and easy instructions, you can decode numbers to reveal your life purpose and more.
I hope this post has helped you answer the question what is numerology? To learn more, visit our affiliate and get the best numerology reading online!