When you hear the words spiritual awakening you may picture the clouds parting and the heavens shining light down… but in real life spiritual awakenings are deeply personal and often quiet.
In fact, sometimes it can be tough to tell if you’re having an awakening! So let’s dig into 22 signs that you’re having a spiritual awakening – this way, you can know for sure:
Signs of a Spiritual Awakening
1. You’re running away from drama. When your friends are discussing what they can’t believe so-and-so did, you may find yourself clamming up when YOU used to be the one dishing the scoop!
2. You feel the need to meditate. When you’re feeling “off” you may now feel the urge to meditate and check in with yourself (go you!). This especially a sign of a spiritual awakening if meditation was never your thing before.
3. You want to eat lighter, healthier foods. And not just because that’s what Taylor Swift’s personal trainer recommends. A draw toward these specific kinds of food could mean your body and Spirit are now requiring higher vibrational foods.
4. You’re dusting off that journal. During a spiritual awakening a lot of things are changing, so it’s natural to have more or different thoughts than normal! Take note (no pun intended… ) if you find yourself journaling more.
5. You’re kicking negativity to the curb. Have you found yourself really susceptible to negative recently? Do you feel the need to shield yourself from certain places or people? It makes sense…
During a spiritual awakening you’ll find it especially important to listen to those prompts because negativity is oh so draining.
6. You have started to see a bigger picture. Spiritually healthy people always seem so zen because they stay focused on the overall big picture – not the fact that their kiddo just spilled grape juice in the backseat of their car.
During an awakening, you’ll notice yourself starting to think about bigger topics like the human race, love, the environment, and the Universe.
7. You feel ready to get to know yourself. Dissecting the inner workings of ourselves and our motives can be tough (did that time your pants ripped at school really cause all your trust issues?!), but during a spiritual awakening you may feel called to get up close and personal with yourself! Take advantage of that – there’s only one you.
8. You’re more sensitive to things. During a spiritual awakening you may find yourself noticing all KINDS of things that you never did before… energy, negativity, bad habits, you name it. In addition, those things may really affect you, so practice good self care and understand this is a transitional time for you.
9. You feel more connected or in-tune with yourself. As you get to know yourself, you may begin to have a higher understanding of your actions and responses. You could also feel more connected to your personal beliefs and mission as well as in-tune with your thoughts.
10. You feel more connected or in-tune with nature. During a spiritual awakening, you could start to really notice how genuinely beautiful nature is! You may feel constantly drawn outside to sit and enjoy your surroundings… Or, suddenly feel passionate about protecting the earth and environment. You may want to hug a tree or feel called to “spiritually ground” yourself.
11. You’re ditching your tendency to judge. It’s easy to hop on the bandwagon and wonder how anyone could not get the flu shot… But as you become more spiritually aware and connected to your higher self, you may find yourself less judgmental and more accepting of people as a whole. You’ll likely start to notice yourself judging less.
12. You feel more hopeful and less worried than normal. Are you typically a ‘glass half empty’ type of person? During a spiritual awakening, your mindset and perspective may shift leaving you more on the optimistic and “trusting the Universe” side of the fence. You may start to feel generally more positive and hopeful as you understand the bigger picture in life.
13. You’re more able to focus on and have peace in the present. Between work, dinner, kids and relationships, it’s super easy to spend more time in the future rather than in the present. But during a spiritual awakening, you may feel called to focus in on the here and now. Rather than feeling anxious that you’re missing something, you’ll likely find peace and calmness in the present.
14. You’re asking bigger questions. During a spiritual awakening, you may find yourself pondering bigger questions (like how much frosting you can take from the cake without it being noticeable). You could find yourself asking things like: What was I put on this earth to do? How can I make this a better place for my kids and my kid’s kids?
15. You’re painfully aware of your negative habits. Judging, gossip, jealousy, unhealthy food, self-bullying and negativity… as you become more spiritually aware, you may naturally outgrow some old, negative habits.
16. You feel deeper connection to others. As you explore yourself and your spirituality, you may experience a strong sense of connection to people around you. It could come from a place of gratefulness or just a place of understanding as you realize we’re all on a journey through life and need each others support.
17. Your sleep patterns have changed. A spiritual awakening creates energy, hence, your sleep patterns may be disrupted! If you suddenly find yourself with TONS of energy or needing to take naps a few times a day, make sure you’re meditating and journaling so that energy has an outlet.
18. You’re distancing yourself from old (negative) friends. Shallow topics and hurtful gossip may have entertained you in the past, but during in a spiritual awakening, you may feel less inclined to hang out with old friends. Trust that the Universe has new connections lined up for you!
19. You feel a personal calm or bliss. As you become more spiritually aware, you may notice that you feel calm during all different kinds of situations. Spiritual health allows us to live life in a more peaceful and less stressful way, which leads to joy and inner bliss!
20. Your reactions are noticeably different. When we’re spiritually healthy, we understand our humanity better. This means we’re likely to let little transgressions go and see the other side of arguments (even if you’re totally sure your husband said 7pm, not 6pm so it’s definitely not your fault you’re late…). You may find yourself responding to things that would normally set you off in a calmer and more enlightened way.
21. You notice the small things… in a good way. During your spiritual awakening, you’ll likely notice and appreciate the small things in life, like your daughter’s laugh, that gorgeous wild flower patch in the highway median, and the way your hair tickles your shoulders when it falls. All of these noticings bring us to the present and feed our inner bliss.
22. You crave alone time. A spiritual awakening comes with a LOT of energy, so you may find yourself wanting to seek time alone to process everything, meditate, and journal. Give yourself plenty of time to digest things and be sure not to judge anything that pops up!
So what now?
First, enjoy you’re new awakening :) It’s really a very special time that can improve the quality and joy in your life!
Second, I HIGHLY (notice the all caps) recommend you read The 4 Agreements Tolec Wisdom Collection. It’s a set of 3 books… each short, but packed with the most amazing life-changing wisdom! (Total transparency: The link provided is an Amazon affiliate link. If you purchase the books, we earn a small commission.)
That’s about all I have for you, friends. Namaste :)