Your soul urge number is one of the most important in your numerology arsenal. I like to think of it as the Mama of numerology.
That’s because, of the four parts of your numerology forecast, this number is the one that gives you insight into your spiritual self.
Your soul urge number can help you understand:
- What will make you happy, even when you don’t consciously know
- The things that really motivate you (you may be surprised when you find out)
- What you truly value, so you can make decisions with ease
Very powerful stuff!
Your soul urge number (also called heart’s desire or soul desire number) helps you understand why you want what you want.
- Have you ever had a desire to experience something (like an African safari or writing a mystery novel), but didn’t know why?
- Did you ever feel called to follow a certain career path, even though it isn’t logical, and your family thinks you’re crazy?
That’s your heart’s desire number shining through!
It gives you awareness about why you do the things you do, and why certain things draw you in.
Pretty cool, right?!
Best of all, it’s quick and easy to calculate your soul desire number. Here’s how:
How to Calculate Your Soul Urge Number
Your soul urge number is calculated using the vowels in your legal birth name.
All you need to do is assign each vowel a number using the chart and step-by-step directions below.
Make sure you use the full name from your birth certificate, not your:
- married name
- adopted name
Tip: If you have a Y in your name, it should be considered a consonant NOT a vowel.
Write out your legal name. We’ll use Marilyn Monroe for our example (I know it wasn’t her real name, but let’s use it for fun.)
M A R I L Y N M O N R O E
Assign each vowel a number from the numerology chart below. (Remember, Y does not count.)
Marilyn Monroe: Vowels=A, I, O, O, E
Add the numbers: 1 + 9 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 27
If the number equals an 11 or 22, STOP. 11 and 22 are Master numbers, so you don’t need to do anything else with them.
- Learn about the Master number 11
- Read about the Master number 22 (the most powerful in numerology!)
Since Marilyn’s numbers equal 27, we need to keep reducing the numbers until we get a single digit (or an 11 or 22).
27: 2 + 7 = 9
Since nine is a single digit, we stop. (If the numbers were still double digits, we would have added them together again until we got a single digit, or an 11 or 22).
Marilyn’s Soul Urge number was 9.
What Does Your Soul Urge Number Mean?
Now it’s your turn. Once you have your heart’s desire number, it’s time to learn what it means. Cozy up with your fav beverage and read up on the meaning below: (coming soon)
Grab a free numerology reading below.
Learn More About Numerology
Best Numerology Books
There are plenty of resources on this site to learn about numerology, but you can also pick up one of my favorite books:
- The Complete Book of Numerology Perfect book for newbies!
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. You’ll love this classic guide.
- The Power of Birthday, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. This fun book blends in astrology.
Get a Numerology Reading (recommended)
- Amazing, accurate, and super detailed numerology reports. Get started with a FREE Numerology reading!