Help, I’m scared of my psychic abilities. How can I stop being afraid?
No matter how jazzed you are about opening your third eye and getting in touch with your intuition, it’s natural to have some fear around the subject.
Different people may experience different levels of fear, but you may ultimately worry:
- What will people think of me?
- Will my friends think I’ve gone crazy?
- Do I actually have psychic abilities?
- What if a bad spirit attaches itself to me or my family?
If these concerns sound like you, don’t worry! I was in the same boat when I first started, so I know a thing or 100 about being afraid of your psychic gifts.
But something kept calling me…
That’s the thing with a calling — it’s bigger than the fear.
That said, I wrote this post to help those who want to:
- Develop their clairaudience, clairvoyance, clairsentience or claircognizance, but are afraid. For example, maybe you read something that frightened you, so you hesitate to take the next step in your journey.
- Use their intuition to help themselves and others, but doubt themselves or lack confidence.
What I’ve learned in my 20+ year-long journey is that:
There’s a critical step you need to take before whipping out your Zener cards: getting rid of that nasty fear!
And in this article, I’m going to teach you how to do just that!
Why Should You Connect With Your Intuition?
These days, more people than ever are connecting with their intuition, and not just relying on logic. (Yay!)
- Having intuitive awakenings, and realizing their sixth sense is real.
- Using their intuition to live with more joy and clarity.
- Connecting with their Spirit Guides for intuitive guidance.
We can use our intuition to:
- Have better relationships with others (and our Higher Self!)
- Guide us to fulfill our goals.
- Make decisions with ease.
Our intuition is like a map that can help us break free of old patterns that keep us stuck, and filled with worry and doubt.
Let’s talk now about how to stop Googling I’m scared of my psychic abilities and start embracing your psychic awakening.
4 Steps for Overcoming Fear of Your Psychic Abilities
1. Recognize that the fear is human, not of spirit
Did you know that you have your very own team of spiritual advisors?
Your trusted angels, Spirit Guides and Higher Self (soul) connect with you through your intuition, are completely loving, and only want the tippy-top best for you. So, there is no need to worry about ‘bad’ spirits.
Fear of the unknown is a human fear…
It’s kind of like new job jitters; you’re excited to dive in, but what if:
- They drop a project on your desk that you can’t handle?
- No one sits with you at lunch? (*sad face*)
- You can’t figure out how to work the coffee machine?
But all these worries slowly ease as you realize you’re prepared for those projects, meet your new work BFF, and notice it’s the same Keurig machine that your last office had.
Understanding that we have Spirit Guides and other spiritual helpers that always have our back will give you the confidence to move forward in your journey!
When I first started down this path, I couldn’t help but feel anxious. After all, this was not the life I envisioned for myself or my family! I craved stability, and this was far from it.
But with some help from my mentors, I realized that the fear was coming from my ego (my human side and not my spiritual side where our psychic gifts reside), and I was able to overcome it. Trust me, you can, too!
2. Decide who you’re really afraid of (and why)
Do you remember the first time you did something way outside of your comfort zone?
Maybe your best high school bud convinced you that purple highlights were all the rage, or you applied a whole bottle of Sun-In to your ponytail. Second to “OMG I look like Avril Lavigne!” you probably thought, “What is my mom going to say?!”
The truth is, once the newness of developing psychic ability wears off, you might find yourself in the same spot, wondering what your family or friends will say.
But before you close this page and only chat about the weather at your next family reunion, consider why you’re afraid of your loved one’s judgement.
Ask yourself questions like:
- Who is going to be upset or angry if they find out I’m working on psychic development?
- What might a conversation with that person look like?
- Why do I fear that person?
Write out all of these questions and answers in a journal (learn how to get started journaling).
When it comes down to it, our family and friends usually want what’s best for us, and understanding that tapping into our intuition brings us closer to your Higher Self (the part of us that knows exactly why we’re here) may help ease their mind.
Of course, you don’t have to share your journey with anyone if you don’t want to. Or, you can wait and approach the subject with others when you’re a little more confident.
- Read: How to come out of the psychic “closet” without anxiety (use these tips when you feel ready)
3. DO. IT. SCARED.
One of my mentors used to say this about business, but it applies here too: “Do it scared.”
When you were lying in bed the night before elementary school started, did your parents tell you that you could stay home if you were too nervous? Did they let you hang out in bed until you were comfortable going? No way!
Everyone gets a little jittery when they start something new. If we waited until those nerves passed, we would never do ANYTHING!
Once you address where the fear is coming from, and think about the loved ones in your life finding out, picture how much better your life will be once you connect with your intuition.
Imagine how your life would benefit from you taking the leap and developing your intuitive gifts.
By pushing through your fear, you will see that the benefits far outweigh your fears about awakening your psychic abilities. If it helps, make a list of all the positive ways your life will change once you embrace your gifts!
Once you have those concrete benefits, your nerves will ease up — but don’t rush them to go away fully!
Accepting that we may have to make a move a little bit scared allows us to accept and honor where we are right now.
Acknowledge the fear, honor the journey, focus on your heart, and take a step. Start by trying downloading my free guide, 7 Real World Steps to Embracing Your Intuitive Gifts.
4. Let’s talk about ‘bad’ spirits and energy, shall we?
Alright friend, let’s talk about the elephant in the room. I know (because I read the emails that come in) that a lot of people have a fear of bad spirits or energy — or bringing something negative into their home.
I’m here to tell you that there is no reason to fear anything negative.
Honestly, if you’re Googling, “I’m scared of my psychic abilities” because you just watched The Sixth Sense, let it go, because…
Mediumship and psychic ability are NOTHING like you see in movies. A spirit won’t follow you around asking you to get a message to her Aunt Martha, I promise!
And you cannot bring any negative vibes into your life just because you connect with your intuition, open your chakras, or chat with your Spirit Guides.
Remember, universal energy applies… so,
- Take the time to learn about energetic vibration. I’m telling ya, it will rock your world in a good way!
- Read my post about how to keep your vibe high.
- Watch some videos by Esther Hicks on YouTube (life changing stuff).
- Understand why you should meditate if you’re opening your intuitive gifts.
- Learn how to keep good, healthy psychic energy (it’s simple!)
- Oh – and you’ll love this post about why I’m not afraid of spirits.
Spending some time absorbing all the goodness that psychic ability has to offer will give you a fresh and uplifting perspective!
When you are aligned with your purpose, and working from a place of love, your gifts are for your highest good — and everything falls into place!
And do you want to know a secret? When you connect with your intuitive gifts, you not only help others, but you grow as a person and:
- Start living in a way that honors your inner voice
- Begin to see the beauty in others
- Live with gratitude
- Gain confidence
So, do you still feel scared to be psychic? Or does the idea feel right; that you just know this is what you are supposed to do?
Are you ready to be inspired and touch lives?
When you work from a place of love, there is nothing to fear.
If you’d like to develop your gifts, I can help. Learn more about my bestselling guide, The Beginner’s Guide to Clairaudience.