What’s in a name? Can name numerology reveal the energy surrounding your life? Does your name really hold profound meaning?
Can it give you insight about others, and how to have better relationships with them?
The answer to all these questions is, Yes!
What is Name Numerology?
Numerology is the study of the symbolism associated with numbers. It also provides insight about your life, challenges, and destiny.
I know… goosebumps!
Numerology uses your birth date (which doesn’t change) and your name, which can change.
When your name changes, so does the energy associated with it!
When my niece was a kid, she had a friend named Gertrude. She was the sweetest little girl, but everyone called her Geeky Gertrude. (If I had known about name numerology back then, I would have helped her come up with an empowering nickname.)
That’s the great thing about name numerology; you can analyze the name a person uses, has used, or is considering using.
And you can use it to help name your child or business, or to reveal your life purpose!
You can also use numerology to:
- Uncover a person’s personality, strengths, talents, and the emotional challenges they struggle with.
- Learn your life purpose and soul’s path.
- Reveal your ‘innate’ traits. These are the characteristics that will be with you for life, even if your name changes.
What Does Your Name Mean?
There are several important numbers that play a role in your life energy. They are your:
- Birth date number. This is the day of the month you were born. For example, your birth date number would be 7 if you were born on the 7th of any month.
- Life Path number. This reveals your life’s direction and the lessons you need to learn. It’s also calculated using your birth date.
- Expression number. Your expression number helps you understand your talents, abilities and interests.
- Soul Urge number. This number teaches you about who you are on a soulful and spiritual level.
For name numerology we use your Life Path and Expression numbers.
Let’s calculate them now. Don’t worry, it’s easy!
Your Life Path Number
To determine your Life Path number, we add the numbers of your birthday.
Step 1. Our friend Gertrude was born on November 6, 1980, so we write out:
- 11 (November)
- 06 (day of birth)
- 1980 (year of birth)
Step 2. Next, we need to add the numbers together, and reduce them to single digits:
- month 1 + 1 = 2
- day 0 + 6 = 6
- year 1 + 9 + 8 + 0 = 18. Since 18 is not a single digit, we need to add the 1 and 8 together. 1 + 8 = 9
- Now, add the 2 + 6 + 9. This equals 17. If this number were an 11 or 22, we would stop, as these are Master numbers. Since it’s not an 11 or 22, we reduce the 17 to a single digit. 1 + 7 = 8.
Gertrude has a Life Path number of 8, which means she is ambitious, smart, and a good judge of character.
Tip: You can also use the button below to calculate your Life Path. It will do all the work for you!
Got your Life Path number? Great!
Now, let’s get the second number we need for name numerology — your Expression (or Destiny) number.
Your Expression (Destiny) Number
- To calculate your Expression number, write out your full, legal birth name
- Then, assign a number to each letter of your name using the chart below
- Next, add the numbers up
- If you get a Master number 11 or 22, stop. This is your Destiny number
- If you get a two-digit number, keep adding until you get one digit — just like we did for the Life Path number
- And voilá! You’ve now got your Expression number
Sticking with our Gertrude example, her Expression number is 6. That means she is loyal, dependable, and generous.
Add your Life Path and Expression numbers together. Since our example gave us a 9 and a 6, we:
- Add the 9 + 6 to equal 15
- Because 15 is not a Master number 11, 22, or a single digit, we reduce it: 1 + 5 = 6.
Gertrude’s name numerology number is 6!
Got your number?
Great! Let’s learn what it means.
The meaning of your number
Click your number below to get super insightful info about yourself, like your strengths, traits, and life-challenges:
- 1 – The “Go-Getter”
- 2 – The Quiet Influencer
- 3 – The Charmer
- 4 – The Organizer
- 5 – The Free Spirit
- 6 – The Peacemaker
- 7 – The Lovable Nerd?
- 8 – The Success Number
- 9 – Traits of the Number 9
- Master Number 11 Life Path and Balancing Your Energy
- Master Number 22
Nicknames and Name-Changes
As you know, we can go through name changes throughout our life: adoptive surnames, nicknames, shortened names, married names, professional names, etc.
Major modifications are made to your energy when your name changes.
How different names affect us
In most numerology systems, you will use your full (legal) birth name… Except in Chaldean numerology, which uses your ‘everyday’ name.
But since different names hold different energy, it’s fun to calculate your numbers using both names…
Gertrude Smith and Gerty Smith, in our example.
- Because it’s a more relaxed nickname, “Gerty” tells us how she acts around her family and friends.
- On the flip side, creating a numerology report using the name “Gertrude” may more accurately reveal how she acts at work.
Naming anything takes a lot of thought. I stressed for a week over what to name my cat — never mind my children!
But name numerology can help you name your baby.
So, if you want an idea of how your child’s name may affect his or her life, calculate the Karmic numbers for the names you like. (Instructions and chart above.)
Naming Your Business
You can also use name numerology when naming your business.
Here’s a tip:
The BEST method is to choose a name that, when combined with your birth date, results in an Expression or Life Path number that is a 1 or 8. This increases the opportunity for success!
Thinking About Changing Your Name?
I have a friend who changed the spelling of her adopted daughter’s name, which made big energetic changes.
If you’re considering a name change, too, keep these things in mind:
- Residual energy. You will always have residual energy from your birth name. It’s like… if you are born with brown hair, but dye it blonde… you still have childhood pictures of yourself as a brunette.
- Balance. Pick a name that balances the energy already in your birth name. For example, if you’re currently a number 1, you have a strong energy. To balance out that energy, choose a name with a more relaxed vibe… like a 2! On the flip side, if you want to “beef up” certain traits, consider a name that has a stronger energy. 1, 3, 5, and 7 are powerful numbers.
Married vs. maiden Name
If you’re about to tie the knot, it’s fun to do name numerology on your birth name vs. your married name.
Take a peek behind the curtain. Do you gain any insights or have any aha moments when comparing the names?
I promise, it’s fun! (So much fun that a friend of mine ran numerology reports as gifts for all her bridesmaids!)
Name Numerology Takeaways
As you can see, there are a lot of ways you can use name numerology. The best part is that it can give you insight to make your life path easier and clearer…
It’s like wearing a clean, new pair of glasses after wearing ones with scratched lenses for years!
And if you’re going to make any big name changes, do a little name numerology first. It will help ensure you’re making the best choice of the energies you want to develop in your life.