Essential Oils for Sleep
Today we’re diving into a HOT topic — essential oils for sleep and dreams.
You’ve probably heard that EO’s are all the rage these days, and for good reason… The way they work is downright fascinating, they smell amazing, and people all over the world swear by their benefits and uses.
Of course, before you have any amazing dreams, you need to get into a nice, deep sleep.
The best essential oils for sleep are:
- Lavender (One of my all-time favs. I would personally start with this one because it’s so versatile.)
- Ylang Ylang
All of these oils are calming, and can help you get a deeper, more restful sleep.
That said, let’s dig deeper into specific oils for restful sleep and peaceful dreams. Then, I’ll teach you how to use the oils for dream recall, too!
EO’s for Peaceful Dreams
Dreams can break in while our ‘logical’ brain is taking a snooze and deliver messages, inspiration, and clarity. They can even help strengthen your intuition!
Sometimes, though, dreams can seem downright scary. So, if you’re prone to nightmares, try one of these well-known oils that support peaceful sleep and nixing nightmares.
Essential Oils for Remembering Dreams
Dreams that offer you clarity or guidance won’t do much good if you don’t remember them.
That’s why it’s a good idea to keep a dream journal next to your bed.
- As soon as you wake up, grab your dream journal and start writing. Don’t even give yourself a chance to “wake up,” or some of the details may slip away. Speed is key here! Write down all the details as specifically as you can remember them.
- Once you’re more awake, messaging or symbols may make more sense to you. Plus, once you’ve been recording your dreams for a while, you’ll start to notice patterns of when you have certain kinds of dreams and how they make you feel.
These essential oils increase brain function and memory recall and work great for helping us remember dreams:
- Clary Sage
Now that you’ve got your handy list of EO’s for sleep and dreams, it’s time to learn how to use them. Spoiler alert: it’s simple!
How to Use Essential Oils for Sleep and Dreams
- Pick the thing that you struggle with the most (restful sleep, remembering dreams, nightmares).
- Choose an essential oil from this post.
- Use the oil for a week (“How to” directions below) and write down any changes.
- Once you feel like that area is improving, move on to something else.
Everyone responds to oils slightly differently, so experiment with different ones if you’re not seeing benefits right away. These oils are not exclusively for sleep or dreams, so it’s possible you will start to see other (good) benefits too!
So what do you do once you’ve selected your area of improvement and oil?
There are two main ways to use the oils:
- Topically, with a carrier oil
- Aromatic (used in a diffuser)
How I Use EO’s for Sleep and Dreams
I’ll be the first to say it, I love my nightly routine!
- About an hour before bed, I nix all electronics (that was harder to start than I want to admit).
- Then I set my diffuser with a relaxing oil and do some meditation with visualization.
- When I’m ready for sleep, I use my selected oil with a carrier oil and rub it on the bottoms of my feet.
- Make sure your diffuser is somewhere your pet can’t knock it off (this may or may not be from personal experience).
- Use socks after you put oil on your feet so your sheets don’t discolor or get greasy (also, it makes your feet really soft!)
- Experiment with popular oils and uses to find the best combination for you.
- Don’t forget to try a different variety of carrier oils too.
- Try sprinkling some lavender on your pillow — it smells so good all night long!
Essential Oils for Sleep and Dreams Takeaways
Dreams can offer powerful connections with our intuition, spirit team, and Higher Self.
And while everyone experiences them differently, it’s always worthwhile to see what’s going on while you’re catching your zzz’s.
If you notice a recurring theme or message, think about asking your Spirit Guides about it. You may get the breakthrough you’ve been waiting for!