Let’s just come right out and say it: Essential oils for sleep and dreams are A-MAZING.
Dreams can break in while our ‘logical’ brain is taking a snooze and deliver messages, inspiration, and clarity!
Personally, dreams have played a large role in my years of psychic development.
And obviously when I discovered that there are essential oils for sleep (and therefore dreams), I wanted to know more!
Here’s what I learned…
Essential Oils for Sleep
Of course, before you have any amazing dreams, you need to get into a nice, deep sleep!
Dreams can come in all shapes and sizes and are super important when you want to develop your intuition. The best dreams are the ones when you’re totally zonked out for the night and not just catnapping in front of Stranger Things (been there, done that).
If you read my post on Calming Your Nerves When You’re on a Spiritual Path, you may notice some repeats here…
That’s because anxiety needs to take the backseat in order for you to get the best sleep.
Here are the best essential oils for sleep:
- Lavender (One of my all-time fav’s. I would personally start with this one because it’s so versatile.)
- Ylang Ylang (I’ll be honest, I don’t like the smell of Ylang Ylang. It’s really strong.)
Tip: If you’re curious what the best essential oils for psychic development are, here are the top 11.
Essential Oils for Peaceful Dreams
Sometimes dreams can seem downright scary. When I was first starting out on my psychic development journey, I had a horrible psychic dream about a nightclub burning down.
I was completely heartbroken and at a loss for why I had that dream! It didn’t immediately occur to me that ENERGY is everywhere and I must have just received some in my relaxed state.
That’s always possible, but these oils are well known for producing peaceful dreams and nixing nightmares:
Essential Oils for Remembering Dreams
The dream producing the most clarity or guidance in the world won’t do much good unless you remember it! A long time ago I started keeping a dream journal right next to my bed.
Tip for remembering your dreams:
As soon as you wake up, grab your dream journal off of your nightstand and go to town writing! Don’t even give yourself a chance to “wake up” or some of the details will slip away. Speed is key here! Write down ALL the details as specifically as you can remember them.
Once you’re more awake, messaging or symbols may make more sense to you. Plus, it’s really cool to look back and read your dream journal! You’ll start to notice patterns of when you have certain kinds of dreams and how certain dreams make you feel.
These essential oils increase brain function and memory recall and work great for helping us remember dreams:
Tips for starting with essential oils for sleep and dreams:
- Pick the thing that you struggle with the most (sleep, remembering dreams, nightmares).
- Choose an essential oil from this post.
- Use the oil for a week (“How to” directions below) and write down any changes.
- Once you feel like that area is improving, move onto something else.
Tip: Everyone responds to oils slightly differently, so try different oils in the different categories if you’re not seeing benefits right away. These oils are not exclusively for sleep or dreams, so it’s possible you will start to see other (good) benefits too!
How to Use the Essential Oils for Sleep and Dreams
So what do you do once you’ve selected your area of improvement and oil?
There are two main ways to use the essential oils: topical and aromatic… I like to use BOTH!
I’ll be the first to say it, I love my nightly routine. About an hour before my bedtime, I nix all electronics (that was harder to start than I want to admit…).
Then I set my diffuser with a relaxing oil and do some meditation with visualization. (If you don’t know what a diffuser is or how to use one with your oils, this post will help).
When I’m ready for sleep, I use a selected oil with a carrier oil and rub it on the bottom of my feet.
- You can (and should definitely) read all about carrier oils here. (Don’t apply essential oils on skin without a carrier oil, OK?)
Aromatherapy and Essential Oils for Sleep Tips
- Make sure your diffuser is somewhere your cat can’t knock it off (this may or may not be from personal experience).
- Use socks after you put oil on your feet so your sheets don’t discolor or get greasy (also, it makes your feet really soft!).
- Experiment with different oils in different uses to find the best combination for you.
- Don’t forget to try a different variety of carrier oils too.
- Try sprinkling some lavender on your pillow — it smells sooooo good all night long!
Essential Oils for Sleep and Dreams Takeaways
Dreams can offer powerful connections with our intuition, spirit team, and Higher Self. And while everyone experiences them differently, it’s always worthwhile to see what’s going on while you’re catching your zzz’s.
If you notice a recurring theme or message, think about asking your spirit guides about it. You may get the breakthrough you’ve been waiting on!
Follow-up Post: Essential Oil Benefits and Uses