Let’s face it. We all have energy vampires around us, and it can be a difficult situation to deal with. I mean, we can’t choose our family, so what do we do?
Actually, you’re in luck. Because in this article, I’m giving you five tips for dealing with the energy vampires in your life.
What Are Energy Vampires?
An energy vampire is someone who makes you feel emotionally drained.
For example, if you love your Aunt Suzy, but feel exhausted after visiting her, she’s an energy vampire.
Don’t worry, we all have these people in our lives.
The first step towards protecting your energy is to learn how to recognize the energy vamps in your life:
- Maybe it’s your sister who constantly cries on your shoulder but never does anything to empower herself. She asks for your opinion, but it falls on deaf ears. (Been there, done that… totally draining!)
- Perhaps it’s your mom who criticizes everything you do.
- Maybe you feel exhausted after your friend gossips to you about another friend. (Total drain!)
I bet you’re thinking of a few energy vampires right now. And I get it, it’s especially hard when they’re our loved ones.
Plus, if you’re an empath (which makes you more sensitive to energy), it can be extra difficult to deal with their negativity.
Now that you know who energy vampires are, let’s talk about triggers.
Identify Your Triggers
The first thing you need to do is identify what makes you feel drained.
- Pessimistic people who are negative or always complaining?
- Jealousy. Deep down, jealous people are insecure. And, since they aren’t happy, it’s hard for them to be happy for others. This can cause them to lash out or bully others.
- People that blame their problems on others. Instead of taking accountability, they expect others to make them happy.
- Judgmental people. These folks judge others and enjoy gossiping.
Of course, we’ve all engaged in some of these behaviors at one time or another; none of us are perfect.
The problem with energy vampires, though, is that their dominant traits are often negative.
Keep in mind, too, that your loved ones aren’t intentionally trying to deplete you. Sure, sometimes people say things to hurt your feelings on purpose, but not always.
Stop and think for a minute about the energy vampires in your life. Who are they? Do they have common traits? Make a list of your triggers.
Now that you’ve identified your triggers, and what drains you, it’s time to empower yourself and protect your energy.
5 Tips for Dealing With Energy Vampires
If you’re an empath, be sure to try the practical and energetic tips. I’m an empath, and trust me — these tips help a lot!
1. Look for the Positive
Let’s pretend your mom is super critical of you, and it makes you feel insecure. Next time you have plans with Mom, try this…
Before hanging out with her, take a few minutes to focus on the good things about her. Now, make a list of three to five of her positive traits… the more, the better!
Here are a few examples:
- You may not like the way she communicates her feelings, but her intentions are good. (i.e., she nags because she cares.)
- She’s a caring person, but views the world differently from you. It’s okay though, you can learn from each other!
- Sure, she is negative sometimes, but she’s great with your kids, and they love spending time with her.
Now that you’ve got your positive traits, it will help you see the best in your mom when you are together. This alone can help you see your relationship in a whole new way!
2. Use White Light
Visualize yourself surrounded by divine white light for protection. Now, imagine this light protecting your energy fields (aura) from negativity.
Tip: You can also visualize your loved one wrapped in a pink light of love. (More psychic protection methods here.)
3. Raise your vibration
We are energetic beings and as such, vibrate at a certain frequency or ‘energy’.
So why is this important?
Well, the higher your vibration, the LESS energy vampires will affect you. Cool, right?
Don’t worry, it’s a super easy concept:
- Positive emotions are light and help us vibrate at a high frequency; they make us feel joy.
- Negative emotions are heavy, dense, and lower our vibration, because they make us feel bad.
One of the most powerful ways to deal with energy vampires is to practice raising your vibration every day. Not only is this easy to do, it also makes a huge, positive impact in your life.
Here are some ideas to easily raise your vibe:
- Make a gratitude list
- Listen to your favorite music
- Spend time in nature
- Journal for 10 or 15 minutes
What’s your vibration right now?
Wondering if your vibration is high or low?
It’s easy to figure out! Just take notice of how you feel right now…
Do you feel grateful and happy, or do you feel negative emotions?
Your emotions are a great indicator of your frequency. The better you feel emotionally, the higher your vibration is.
In my opinion, the best book on the planet about vibration is Ask and It Is Given. Seriously, this book will change your life!
Also remember: like attracts like. So, if you are happy and sending out love, you’ll get love back.
Of course, that doesn’t mean that every second of every day will be perfect (negative emotions do serve a purpose), but when you radiate love you will notice that people are at their best when they’re around you, Give it a try and see for yourself!
4. Set Boundaries
The strategies we’ve talked about so far work great with most energy vampires.
But there may be times when you feel so out-of-sync with someone that you know it’s time to set firmer limits, or end your relationship.
If this is how you are feeling, it’s okay. Part of living an intuitive life is honoring yourself, your feelings, and your purpose. Remember: you and your feelings are important, too!
5. Things to Avoid
Armed with the tips above, you’ll be well on your way to a bright, shiny aura and a healthy vibe. Before we go, though, here are two things you should practice avoiding:
- Engaging in negativity. Arguing and engaging in negativity will lower your vibration and make you feel bad. If you find yourself in a tough situation, surround yourself with light, and imagine there is a mirror in front of you deflecting the negativity away from you.
- Taking it personally. Take a deep breath, and try to let things roll off your back. Remember to surround yourself with a white, protective light. And keep in mind, if the energy vampire is generally negative, they probably aren’t attacking you personally.
Energy vampires are a normal part of our human experience. Practice the tips above to strengthen your aura and raise your vibration. This will help you manage whatever comes your way.