Let’s face it. We all have some energy vampires around us — and it can be a tricky situation. I mean, we can’t pick our family, so what do we do?
Actually, you’re in luck. Because in this article, I’m giving you five tips for dealing with the energy vampires you care about.
What Are Energy Vampires?
An energy vampire is someone who makes you feel emotionally drained.
So if you love your Aunt Suzy, but feel exhausted after visiting her, she’s an energy vampire.
We ALL have these people in our family. And they are easy to identify:
- Maybe it’s your sister who constantly cries on your shoulder, but never does anything to empower herself. She asks for your opinion, but it falls on deaf ears.
- Or perhaps it’s your mom who criticizes everything you do.
- Maybe you feel exhausted after your friend gossips to you about another friend. (Total drain!)
I bet you’re thinking of a few energy vampires right now. And I get it, it’s especially hard when they’re our loved ones.
Plus, if you’re an empath, it can be extra difficult because you are more sensitive to energy.
Now that you know who energy vampires are, let’s talk about how to deal with them.
First, Identify Your Triggers
The first thing you need to do is identify what makes you feel drained?
- Pessimistic people who are negative and always complaining?
- Jealousy? Deep down, jealous people are insecure. This can cause them to lash out or bully others. Since they aren’t happy, it can be hard for them to be happy for others.
- People that blame their problems on others? Instead of finding their own joy, they expect others to make them happy.
- Judgmental people? These folks judge others and enjoy gossip.
We’ve all had some of these behaviors at one time or another; none of us are perfect. The problem with energy vampires, though, is that these are often their dominant traits.
Keep in mind too that your loved ones aren’t intentionally trying to deplete you. Sure, sometimes people say things to hurt your feelings on purpose, but not always.
Stop and think for a minute about the energy vampires in your life. Do they have common traits? Make a list of your triggers.
5 Tips for Dealing With Energy Vampires
Now that you’ve identified what and who drains you, let’s talk about how to get relief.
If you’re an empath, be sure to try the practical and energetic tips. I’m an empath, and trust me — these tips help a lot!
1. Look for the positive
Let’s pretend your mom is super critical of you, and it makes you feel yucky. Next time you have plans with mom, try this…
Before hanging out with her, take a few minutes and focus on the good things about her. Keep digging until you can come up with 3 – 5 positive traits. The more you can find, the better!
Here are a few examples:
- You may not like the way she communicates her feelings, but her intentions are good. She nags because she loves you. :)
- She’s a caring person, but you view the world differently. But it’s okay, and you can learn from each other.
- She a great grandma to your kids.
Now that you’ve got your three positive traits, it will help you see the best in your mom when you are together. This alone can help you see your relationship in a whole new light!
2. Use white light
Visualize yourself surrounded by divine white light for protection. Imagine this light protecting your energy fields (aura) from negativity.
You can also visualize your loved one wrapped in a pink light of love. (More psychic protection methods here.)
- Engage. Arguing and engaging in negativity will lower your vibration and make you feel bad.
- Take it personally. Take a deep breath, and try to let things roll off your back. If the energy vampire is generally negative, they probably aren’t attacking you personally.
4. Raise your vibration
We are energetic beings and vibrate at a certain frequency.
Positive emotions are light and help us vibrate at a high frequency. But negative emotions are heavy, dense, and lower our vibration.
So why is this important?
Well, the higher your vibration is, the LESS energy vampires will affect you. Cool, right? Plus, there are SO many ways to raise your vibration.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- make a gratitude list
- listen to your favorite music
- spending time in nature
- finding good quality in others
Also remember: like attracts like. If you are happy and sending out love, you’ll get love back.
Of course, that doesn’t mean that every second of every day will be perfect (negative emotions do serve a purpose). But you may notice that people are at their best when they’re around you.
5. Set boundaries
All of these strategies work great with most energy vampires. But there may be times when you feel so unaligned with someone that you know it’s time to set firmer limits, or end your relationship.
If this is how you are feeling, it’s okay. Part of living an intuitive life is honoring ourselves, our feelings, and our purpose. You and your feelings matter, too!
I hope you’ve found this helpful, and that you have a fresh perspective on energy vampires.