Do you remember those cool cards from the movie Ghostbusters? Venkman wasn’t exactly playing by the rules, but Zener cards are a legitimate way to develop psychic abilities!
Plus, they’re a good excuse for you to team up with your BFF (after you assure them they won’t get shocked by Venkman if they get the wrong answer – yikes!).
Developing psychic abilities should be a fun part of your journey, and Zener cards do just the trick! Here is how to use Zener cards to increase your psychic abilities:
What You’ll Need
1. Zener Cards. Grab a pack of Zener cards on Amazon or gather some index cards and make your own. If you make your own, you’ll want to draw a square on one, circle on the next, then a star, plus sign, and wavy lines on the last card. (I recommend you make THREE sets – for a total of 15 cards.) You can stick to using a black sharpie or break out some fun colors — it’s up to you!
2. Your BFF. Here’s the cool part: your pal could be across your living room or across the world! If they’re a globetrotter, you’ll just need to have a connection with them via Zoom or FaceTime. Tip: I used to do these psychic development exercises with my kids. We have such great memories of these intuitive games!
3. An open mind. Increasing your psychic abilities should be fun… not stressful! If you’re missing answers or feeling pressured, take a breather. Your logical mind may be playing tricks on you, or your ego may be getting in the way. Either way, don’t let a bad experience turn you off forever. :)
4. Essential oils. This is totally optional, of course, but I highly recommend dropping some essential oils in your diffuser before any psychic development. Try rose (one of my fav for psychic abilities), lemon, or cedarwood!
How to Get Started:
Once you have your cards, your BFF, the right mindset, and your fav oils going, you’re ready to dive in! Each Zener card exercise starts the same way…
- First, set the intention that this exercise is for you and your friend’s highest and best good. Invite your Spirit Guides and angels in for help (that’s what they’re there for, BTW). :)
- Position you and your friend across from each other — either physically or via planet wifi. Don’t forget, this exercise is telepathic – so, even though it’s fun to be in the same room, you can do this over the phone or Skype! If your pal is physically there, try using two kitchen chairs or just old school it and sit on the floor.
- Now that you’re all set up, each person will take a turn being the sender and the receiver (if they wish to).
Zener Card Exercise to Increase Clairvoyance (psychic seeing)
The sender’s job is to transmit the card they pulled to their partner… without using words.
Yes, that means with ESP. :) It’s like mental emailing!
- Once you draw your card, close your eyes and imagine that symbol (circle, wavy lines, whatever). Imagine psychically sending the image to your friend’s mind’s eye (the area between her eyebrows).
- If it’s helpful, imagine there are invisible “waves” transmitting the image into your friend’s third eye.
- Hold the image for 10 seconds if you can, then ask your friend what they received!
Tip: It can take time to nail down this rhythm and/or not feel silly doing this. Don’t worry if some giggles break out at first, it’s all part of the journey! If your BFF is in another location and doesn’t have a pack of their own, draw a card for them and hold it up to the phone or computer — make sure you don’t peek!
- Take a few deep breaths and focus your energy on your third eye area (the energetic center between your eyebrows).
- Allow yourself to receive whichever of the 5 symbols come.
- You will most likely receive it in a picture format — don’t second guess yourself! Just allow an image of a circle, square, square, plus sign, or wavy lines to form in your mind.
- It’s super important to allow your mind to be free and clear during this time. It’s not the time to wonder or evaluate if you’re really clairvoyant (you are).
Zener Card Exercise to Increase Clairaudience (psychic hearing)
To increase clairaudience, follow the same steps as above, but instead of psychically sending an image, send a WORD.
In other words, in your mind, repeat the word “star”,“circle”, or whatever the card is.
Once you have your card, clearly think the word that represents it. Repeat it in your mind over and over, and picture sending that “audio file” to your BFF.
- Listen for a prompt from your own voice. In other words, you probably won’t hear the voice of your friend or James Earl Jones! You’ll hear the word “star“, “circle” or whatever in your own voice (like when you are talking to yourself).
- It will be spontaneous. One moment you may be running down your grocery list, and then next moment, you will be thinking, “Star”. Go with it! That’s how psychic hearing works.
Zener Card Exercise to Increase Clairsentience (psychic sensing)
In order to increase clairsentience (psychic feeling) with Zener cards, you’ll need to transmit the card using feelings.
- Once you draw your card, focus on it and feel the shape.
- Certain shapes may make you feel certain things (like the waves reminding you of the beach, or the circle reminding you of your wedding ring). Let your mind wander with those feelings, and don’t try to control them.
- Imagine using your ESP and telepathically sending the feeling to your BFF.
- Imagine how your friend may feel after drawing certain cards. Go with your gut feeling and don’t try to use logic — your power is in the first reaction!
Zener Card Exercise to Increase Claircognizance (psychic knowing)
The key to developing psychic knowing with this game is speed. You want this to be a “lightning” round so that you use your inner knowing and not overthink things with logic.
- Draw a card and look at it (obviously, don’t show it to the receiver).
- As soon as the receiver calls out an answer, put that card face down and draw a new card. Repeat until there are no more cards.
- Don’t give feedback after each card (right, wrong, etc.) Wait until you’ve gone through the cards a couple of times to give feedback.
There’s no logical reason for you to know which card your friend has drawn, but you likely already do! Blurt out the answer and keep on going… don’t second guess yourself!
Pro tip: The point of this exercise is to open up your psychic abilities and learn to get a feel for things. So we always want to keep it positive! :) Just let the person blurt out their answers like they are on a game show. Go through the set of cards about 3 times. At the very END, you can give them an idea of how they did.
I used these exercises in a psychic development class back in 2000 and it was so much fun! One partner and I actually got 100% correct! So it totally works.
But other partners and I were only accurate about half the time.
If that’s you, seriously don’t sweat it! It takes time to build your psychic muscles. Believe it or not, this exercise is helping to open you up even if you are not getting the correct answer 100% of the time.
If you can’t seem to find your stride, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Each of you practice being the sender and receiver. Believe it or not, some people are better senders…others are better receivers.
- Take notes. If you do this exercise enough, you will start to see patterns. Are you a more accurate receiver? Is sending/receiving images easier for you than say, words? Remember, there are 4 main psychic gifts, so it takes a bit to find your vibe and what gifts are strongest for you. But I tell ya, this is a super fun way to do it!
- Practice again another day. It takes time to get used to each other’s psychic energy (even if you’ve been besties since Pre-K). You’re working with your intuitive gifts here, so give yourselves grace and allow yourselves time to jive.
That’s all I have for you today, friends. I hope you have loads of laughs and smiles while enjoying these psychic development exercises!
P.S. If you can’t get enough, here’s a list of 28 more ways to develop your psychic gifts!