Those with clairsentience sniff out the energy of a person or place quicker than leftover tuna salad. They have gut feelings so accurate that their friends use them as a first date screener!
They pass by people on the street and know whom they should and shouldn’t trust. And they always know when they’re being lied to (yes, parents, that’s as convenient as you may think!)
Even better? We all have access to clairsentience (meaning clear feeling), and anyone can develop this psychic ability.
So, if you find yourself picking up on others’ emotions, or sensing the energy around people and places… you’re in the right spot!
6 Ways to Develop Clairsentience
Clairsentience means you can sense and feel things psychically. And if you’re here, you likely have this gift (here are the signs), and just need to reconnect with it. That’s what these exercises will help you do.
But first, if you want the full scoop on psychic sensing, read my beginner’s clairsentience post.
1. Focus on your environment
Empaths and clairsentients are sensitive to their surroundings. They’ll notice if you move their table an inch — or mess with their flower arrangement. And they can’t relax while sitting on a laundry filled couch! Yikes! I get anxiety just thinking about it.
So, before you work on developing clairsentience, focus on what’s around you.
Is your space cluttered? Can you sense the dirty dishes, even though you’re upstairs? Wait, don’t stop reading. ;)
I’m not going to tell you to go downstairs and tackle those chores right now (that’s what Merry Maids are for, right?).
But I will tell you to start by creating ONE space that’s clean, fresh, and psychic development ready.
Space clearing tips:
- Choose a sacred space. It can be the corner of a room or a whole room that’s all yours… Got your space? Great! Now fill it with fluffy chair cushions, a cozy blanket, journal, crystals, or anything else that makes you happy!
- Go green. Clairsentience makes me sensitive to my surroundings. But going green (using natural cleaning products, wool dryer balls with essential oils, etc.) has helped a lot. Plus, it makes me feel more connected to nature which makes me feel more grounded.
- Use sage. Clearing your space with sage is great for us clairsentients! So, once you set up your sacred space, set the intention that the space be filled with love and light. Then, sage smudge the area or room.
Now that you have a clear space, use it to meditate and develop your intuitive gifts with the exercises below.
2. Develop clairsentience with photos
This exercise is a lot of fun. My students love it, and people always do better than they anticipate!
Here’s what to do:
- Ask a friend to show you a picture of someone they know well, but you’ve never met or heard much about.
- Look at the picture and focus on the person’s eyes. Now, imagine how they felt when the picture was taken. Were they happy? Sad? Anxious? Would you trust this person? Don’t worry about being wrong — go with the flow!
- When you’re done, ask your friend for feedback. Did you sense the person was happy, then find out the picture was taken after their team won the Superbowl? Or did you sense they were trustworthy, and find out they helped your friend through a tough time?
Repeat this intuitive exercise 2-3 times a week to develop clairsentience with tons of confidence!
3. Sense the energy from a personal object
Did you know that your favorite sweater, family locket, and childhood stuffed animal ALL hold some of your energy? Yep!
You see, our energy transfers to the things we own. And the more we use/wear/love the object, the more energy there is.
That’s why one of the best ways to develop clairsentience is to practice psychometry.
Psychometry means reading the energy of an object.
Yes, it’s as cool as it sounds. And here’s how to do it:
- Invite a friend over. Ask them to bring a family heirloom or piece of jewelry. (Tip: jewelry works great because metal can hold energy, like, forever!) Make sure the object is from someone you’ve never met.
- Rub your hands together and take some deep breaths.
- Now, hold the object for a few minutes. Feel (sense) what kind of energy it’s giving off. Does it feel positive or negative?
- Next, sense the energy of the person who owns or owned the object. Are/were they happy? Funny? Sad? Do they have a favorite hobby?
Again, check in with your friend and ask for feedback.
- Here’s a post with step-by-step instructions on how to do psychometry.
4. Balance your chakras
Clear and balanced chakras allow energy to flow smoothly through your body.
That’s why having balanced chakras is such an important part of psychic development. So if you’re a chakra newbie, here’s what you need to know…
We have 7 main chakras (energy centers) in our body. They are:
- Crown chakra (relates to psychic ability and intuition)
- Third eye chakra (balance for psychic seeing – clairvoyance)
- Throat chakra (balance for psychic hearing – clairaudience)
- Heart chakra (balance for psychic clairsentience)
- Solar plexus chakra (balance for inner knowing – claircognizance)
- Sacral chakra
- Root chakra
Open and balanced chakras will:
- Help you connect with your intuitive gifts
- Strengthen your psychic abilities
- Raise your vibration
Here are some quick tips for balancing your chakras:
- Do yoga. You don’t have to become a yoga master or anything. Even 10-15 minutes of yoga breathing can help.
- Let it go. Start being intentional about letting things go. This includes emotions, situations you can’t control, and inevitable changes.
- Do things you enjoy. Did you used to draw when you were a kid? Break out that sketch pad! Are bubble baths your thing? Hop in the tub! Or, how about closing your door, putting on your favorite song, and singing your heart out? Reconnect with whatever you used to find enjoyment in… the rest will come.
- Use rose or lavender essential oil on your heart chakra. Mix 1 part rose oil with 4 parts unscented organic lotion (or any carrier oil). Then, rub it on your heart chakra area and meditate for 15 minutes. Voila! You’re on your way to developing clairsentience!
- Use rose or lavender essential oil on your solar plexus chakra. Use the same recipe above, but rub the oil on your solar plexus (the area around your navel) instead. Then, meditate. Opening your solar plexus chakra also helps develop clairsentience.
- Diffuse essential oil. You can also diffuse lavender or rose oil in your sacred space for an extra clairsentience boost!
- Place a fluorite crystal on your heart or solar plexus chakra. Fluorite is OMGorgeous! Place it on either the heart or solar plexus chakra during meditation.
5. Make a crystal grid
Crystals effortlessly support your psychic development. For example, fluorite and amethyst support all your psychic abilities… especially clairsentience.
Crystal grids are easy to make, and only take a few minutes. And honestly, you can’t make a mistake.
That said, here’s a general guide:
- Get yourself 8-12 pretty crystals. (Or as many as you want!) You can use all fluorite, all amethyst, or a mix of the two.
- Place one crystal in the center. Arrange the other crystals around it in a circular pattern.
- While arranging the crystals, set the intention to receive clear psychic impressions through your clairsentient ability.
- Next, place the pattern of crystals under your bed, under your meditation space, or on a table.
- Voila, done!
- For a crystal “boost,” rub a little rose or lavender essential oil on your crystals.
- If you prefer, place your crystals on a piece of paper with a grid pattern on it. You don’t have to, though. Just laying out the crystals in a circular (or whatever) pattern is great! Follow the KISS principle: Keep it super simple!
You knew I wasn’t going finish the post without mentioning meditation, right? Meditation connects you with your Higher Self (the part of you that knows why you’re here and what you’re supposed to be doing).
It can also help you develop intuition and clairsentience.
Best yet? Meditating doesn’t have to be complicated. Start by closing your eyes, breathing calmly, and relaxing. Also set the intention that you want to connect with your intuitive abilities.
- Picture a beautiful green light. Pull this light to your heart, as you imagine embracing your gifts.
- Now, picture yourself holding a beautiful flower. Feel it’s beautiful energy. Does the energy feel soft? Light? Joyful? Enjoy this feeling as long as you like!
Developing Clairsentience Takeaways
Anyone can develop clairsentience. Start by clearing out a space for yourself, then, try the exercises above.
If you’re not sure where to start, psychometry (exercise number 3 above) is a good choice! My students also love the photo exercise (and I do, too!)
Last, balance those chakras and boost your clairsentient development with rose essential oil. Use it during meditation, or drop a dab on a fav crystal. You can use lavender oil, too… it’s the perfect “go to” oil for psychic development.
If you want to learn more, I invite you to download my free audio and guide. It will help you embrace your gifts so you can start living the intuitive life you are meant to live.