People often ask how to develop clairsentience, maybe because it’s one of the lesser talked about psychic gifts.
Clairsentience is the ability to receive intuitive information through feelings and senses, and it’s an extremely powerful psychic ability to have.
The strategies I share here are ones I’ve used to develop my own clairsentient ability, and I’m excited to share them with you!
What is Clairsentience?
Clairsentients can sense and feel things about people, places, and things.
If you’re a clairsentient psychic, you might:
- Have a feeling that your friend is going to call.
- Avoid the news (because you can feel the emotions of people in bad situations).
- Warn your sister that her date has less-than-noble intentions.
- Hear from your friends that you have “Spidey” senses or are too emotional.
Now that you know what this gift is, are you ready to start developing it? Great, because these tips will develop and boost your clairsentient ability (and confidence) right away!
6 Ways to Develop Clairsentience
1. Create a sacred space
Empaths and clairsentients are sensitive to their surroundings. They’ll notice if you move their table an inch or touch their flower arrangement.
And they can’t relax while sitting on a laundry filled couch. I get anxiety just thinking about it!
So, before you work on developing clairsentience, focus on what’s around you.
For example, is your space cluttered? Can you sense the dirty dishes, even though you’re upstairs? Wait, don’t stop reading. I’m not going to tell you to go downstairs and tackle those chores right now (that’s what Merry Maids are for, right?).
But I will tell you to start by creating ONE space that’s clean, fresh, and psychic development ready.
Believe me, as a clairsentient and empath, this makes a huge difference.
Space clearing tips:
- Choose a sacred space. It can be the corner of a room or a whole room that’s all yours. Once you’ve got your space, fill it with fluffy chair cushions, a cozy blanket, journal, crystals, or anything else that makes you happy.
- Go green. Clairsentience makes me sensitive to my surroundings. But going green (using natural cleaning products, wool dryer balls with essential oils, etc.) has helped a lot. Plus, it makes me feel more connected to nature (which helps me be spiritually grounded).
- Use sage. Clearing your space with sage is great for us clairsentients. So, once you set up your sacred space, set the intention that the space be filled with love and light. Then, sage smudge the area or room.
Now that you have a clear space, use it to meditate and develop your intuitive gifts with the exercises below.
2. Develop clairsentience with photos
This exercise is a lot of fun. My students love it, and people always do better than they anticipate!
To get started:
- Ask a friend to show you a picture of someone they know well, but you’ve never met.
- Look at the picture and focus on the person’s eyes. Now, imagine how they felt when the picture was taken. Were they happy? Sad? Anxious? Would you trust this person? Don’t worry about being wrong — go with the flow!
- When you’re done, ask your friend for feedback. Did you sense the person was happy, then find out the picture was taken after their team won the Superbowl? Or did you sense they were trustworthy, and find out they helped your friend through a tough time?
Repeat this intuitive exercise each week to develop clairsentience with confidence.
3. Practice psychometry
Did you know that your favorite sweater, locket, and childhood stuffed animal all hold some of your energy?
You see, our energy transfers to the things we own. And the more we use/wear/love the object, the more energy there is.
That’s why psychometry is one of my favorite ways to develop clairsentience.
Psychometry is reading the energy residue of people from objects that belonged to them.
How cool is that?! I’ve used this a ton, including during some of the police investigations I’ve worked on.
Here’s how to get started with psychometry:
- Get ahold of objects that a person has used or worn a lot, like a watch or wedding ring.
- Rub your hands together and take some deep breaths.
- Hold each object in turn, closing your eyes, and connect with the energy surrounding it. Relax and take note of any sensations, feelings, thoughts or things you “hear” or “see” in your mind’s eye.
- Don’t censor yourself — even subtle feelings can be spot on. Remember, you are practicing tuning in, so don’t second guess yourself.
- When you are done, write down all of your impressions. Then, discuss them with the owner of the object.
Here’s a post with step-by-step instructions on how to do psychometry.
4. Balance your chakras
Clear and balanced chakras allow energy to flow smoothly through your body, helping you connect with your intuitive gifts, strengthen your psychic ability, and raise your vibration.
The seven main chakras (energy centers) are:
- Crown chakra (relates to psychic ability and intuition)
- Third eye chakra (balance for psychic seeing – clairvoyance)
- Throat chakra (balance for psychic hearing – clairaudience)
- Heart chakra (balance for psychic clairsentience)
- Solar plexus chakra (balance for inner knowing – claircognizance)
- Sacral chakra
- Root chakra
Quick chakra balancing tips:
- Do yoga. You don’t have to become a yoga master or anything. Even 10-15 minutes of yoga breathing can help.
- Let it go. Start being intentional about letting things go. This includes emotions, situations you can’t control, and inevitable changes.
- Do things you enjoy. Did you used to draw when you were a kid? Break out that sketch pad! Are bubble baths your thing? Hop in the tub! Or, how about closing your door, putting on your favorite song, and singing your heart out? Reconnect with whatever you used to find enjoyment in!
- Use rose or lavender essential oil on your heart chakra. Mix 1 part rose oil with 4 parts unscented organic lotion (or any carrier oil). Then, rub it over your heart chakra and meditate for 10 minutes. Voila! You’re on your way to developing clairsentience!
- Use rose or lavender essential oil on your solar plexus chakra. Use the same recipe above but rub the oil on your solar plexus (the area around your navel) instead. Opening your solar plexus chakra also helps develop clairsentience.
- Diffuse essential oil. You can also diffuse lavender or rose oil in your sacred space for an extra clairsentience boost.
- Place a fluorite crystal on your heart or solar plexus chakra. Fluorite is gorgeous! Place it on either the heart or solar plexus chakra during meditation.
5. Make a crystal grid
Crystals effortlessly support your psychic development. For example, fluorite and amethyst support all psychic abilities — especially clairsentience.
Crystal grids are easy to make, and only take a few minutes. And honestly, you can’t make a mistake.
That said, here’s a general guide:
- Get yourself 8-12 pretty crystals. (Or as many as you want!) You can use all fluorite, all amethyst, or a mix of the two.
- Place one crystal in the center. Arrange the other crystals around it in a circular pattern.
- While arranging the crystals, set the intention to receive clear psychic impressions via your clairsentient ability.
- Next, place the pattern of crystals under your bed, under your meditation space, or on a table. Voila, done!
Tip: For a boost, rub a little rose or lavender essential oil on your crystals.
You may wonder why I push meditation so hard. The fact is, it’s an amazing way to develop clairsentience. Plus, there are a lot of other benefits that come along with it, like stress management.
Meditation raises our vibration so that we can more easily recognize and access our spiritual gifts. When our vibration is high, it’s easier for our Spirit Guides and Higher Self to connect with us and share the intuitive guidance they have.
It also clears the static in our mind. With meditation practice, you will have less mental static and more clarity around your clairsentient gift.
It’s like tuning in to get a better signal from a radio station. Just a little tweak of the “dial” makes everything clear. That’s what meditation does for our brains.
Also, meditating doesn’t have to be complicated. Start by closing your eyes, breathing calmly, and setting the intention to connect with your psychic ability.
- Picture a beautiful green light. Pull this light to your heart, as you imagine embracing your gifts.
- Now, picture yourself holding a pretty flower. Feel it’s energy. Does the energy feel soft? Light? Joyful? Enjoy this feeling as long as you like!
You can also try this psychic meditation that’s easy and effective.
7. Practice reading energy
Start consciously working on picking up the energy of your surroundings to practice using your gift in a deliberate way.
For example, the next time you go to a party or a family gathering, try sensing the energy in the room. What does the energy feel like? Is it light, heavy, happy, etc.
As more guests arrive, check in with the energy again. Ask yourself:
- What does the energy feel like now?
- Is the energy still light? Or heavier?
- Can you sense heaviness or drama when a certain couple walks in?
As the evening goes on, check in and take notice of how the energy feels and changes.
8. Be mindful of your words
Because clairsentience can be subtle, it’s easy to dismiss your intuitive nudges at first. That’s why being mindful of your words is so powerful!
Have trust in your psychic ability by saying, “I feel” (not, “I think”) when you get an intuitive sense about something.
- Instead of saying “I think my new coworker is nice,” say, “I have a great feeling about my new coworker.”
- “I feel like I’m going to get the job,” instead of, “I think I will get the job.”
This shift in language validates your ability and boosts confidence.
Developing Clairsentience Takeaways
Just like with all other skills, the best advice I can give you for developing clairsentience is to practice using it on a daily basis.
Use it in your decision making about everyday things, both big and small, and you will start to notice your abilities getting stronger.
Start by creating a sacred space for yourself, then, try the exercises above. If you’re not sure where to start, psychometry (exercise number 3) is a good choice.
If you want to learn more, I invite you to download my free audio and guide. These tools will help you embrace your gifts so you can start living the intuitive life you are meant to live!