Today, we’re peeling back the layers of the Aquarius sign. First, we’re talking about their personality traits and strengths.
Then, we’re diving into love compatibility (and whom they should marry!) Next, you’ll discover their best jobs, and whether or not they are good with money.
Finally, we’ll take a big picture look at Aquarius men and women!
- Aquarius dates: January 20 – February 18
- Element: Air sign
- Symbol: Water bearer
- Zodiac quality: Fixed (other fixed signs of the zodiac are Taurus, Leo and Scorpio)
- Best Aquarius Match: Aries, Gemini, Libra, Sagittarius (see full compatibility list)
- Least compatible: Taurus, Scorpio
- What are Aquarius’ scared of? Losing their independence, Commitment
- Best crystals: Amethyst, Aquamarine, Labradorite, Rose Quartz
- Ruled by: Planet Uranus
- Rules: House of Blessings
- Position: Aquarius is the eleventh (11th) Zodiac sign
Those born under the Aquarius sign have an independent, progressive personality with a vast mix of opposing traits.
They are known for:
- Their awesome communication skills
- Making their opinions known
- Using their voice for social justice causes
While some people only fight causes that benefit them, Aquarians rally for ANY group that needs them.
You know that person in college who was constantly canvassing the campus for people to do a tree-sit or peaceful protest? They likely had the Aquarius sign!
On the flip side, Aquarians can be emotional and stubborn…
Thankfully, this tendency usually happens in “spells” rather than on a regular basis.
Holders of this sign need to take time to reflect, and release the emotions they tend to shove down.
Their friends and family members know what topics to avoid to keep the conversation light. They also know to let their Aquarius say their piece when they need to.
All in all, Aquarians are “lovable unicorns” with opposing traits that magically work together to create a magnetic personality!
Aquarius Sign Traits
When they’re in the zone, Aquarians are:
- Intellectual (some say they are the smartest sign in astrology)
- Cool, calm and collected!
Their weaknesses include being:
- Overly emotional
- Unwilling to compromise
- Type “A” personality
- Emotionally detached
The interesting thing about this sign is its natural balance.
In other words:
While an Aquarius may get involved in causes and stand up for what is right, it takes a while for them to become emotionally attached. Their strong sense to fight seems to be more on principle than emotion.
While on the outside they’re passionate and invested, they quickly move on to the next thing once the fight is won.
Aquarius men love intellectual stimulation and march to the beat of their own drum — maybe even one they built themselves.
They’re artistic, daring, and rarely predictable. (Kind of sexy, no?)
Dates with him are never the same…
One may be a picnic in the park and another may be a spontaneous trip. They’re down for almost anything and expect their partner to be, too.
But while Aquarius males take part in many activities and causes, they can be hard to break through and connect with; their strong humanitarian side sometimes takes a backseat to their tendency to be distant or aloof.
And you can almost bet that an Aquarius dude has had a few big arguments with those close to him.
He has inflexible views and opinions on major hot topics.
Sometimes he wears that ol’ “rebel without a cause” badge and pick fights just to stir things up!
The Aquarius Woman
Aquarius women are like that old Spice Girls song, “Now don’t go wasting my precious time. Get your act together we could be just fine.”
They’re on their way to do great things, and if you want to come along — great, but you’d better hurry and not get in the way.
Aquarius women need to be themselves and live their own life before anything else.
If a partner tries to control them or push them to be someone they’re not, they’ll move on without missing a beat.
Despite their calm exterior, though, they tend to face turmoil when trying to find inner peace.
Like men under this sign, women can also be unpredictable and aloof.
Yet, they’re likely to reach a point in their adult life when they feel the need to “grow up” and settle down… but this decision is usually based on logic.
In fact, Aquarius women make most of their decisions based on facts and figures, not emotions.
An Aquarius has plenty of great love matches, and will have no problem dating or marrying.
So, what sign should an Aquarius marry?
They match up best with:
- Sagittarius. Both of these signs are rational decision-makers. Because of this, they are able to have open and honest discussions that other couples would shy away from for fear of hurt feelings. But since both tend to come off as ‘cold’, they need to work to create warmth in the relationship. If they can, they may be a long-lasting power couple! (Learn more about Sagittarius compatibility)
- Leo. If you know anything about the Leo sign, this may seem like a strange match — but the opposites attract theory is proven once again! In fact, their opposite traits create a passionate and stable relationship. And since both signs value independence, they give each other the space they need.
- another Aquarius
Those who can’t handle this independent astrology sign are:
Are Aquarians Loyal? Do They Fall in Love Easily?
It’s said that an Aquarius will freak out if their independence is threatened, and they have a hard time with commitment.
But are they loyal?
Some people think this sign is destined to be alone, but it’s not so!
An Aquarius is super loyal once they fall in love.
They don’t go “all in” like Libra (no love at first sight situations here), but once that foundation is laid, they are in it for the long haul.
Just be sure to give your Aquarius time to earn your trust, and build a solid connection with you — and don’t expect too much cuddling!
- Read: Top 3 Soulmate Myths
What Jobs Are Good for an Aquarius Sign?
When it comes to career, an Aquarius was probably voted, “Most likely to start a non-profit” in high school — and that would have been right.
This air element digs ANYTHING with a cause.
They’re fiercely passionate, but since they’re so logical, they fight from a calm position.
Good Aquarius Careers
Because of their desire to spread the word, teaching is a natural position for them.
They try to impact anyone they can, and a classroom full of the next generation will please their do-good side, while enabling them to pass down logic.
Aquarians tend to do well in these careers:
- Starting a non-profit
- Anything humanitarian
- Urban development
Note: Just because they’re in a non-profit or humanitarian role, doesn’t mean they’re living at home or on a friend’s couch.
Famous Aquarians, like Oprah, make it clear that you can impact the world while doing very well for yourself.
Non-Traditional Aquarius Careers
Oprah. Ellen. It’s pretty obvious that Aquarius’ have lots of charisma and humor!
They are “people magnets,” and because of this, they do well in spotlight careers like:
- TV anchor/host
No matter where they land, they’re likely preaching to everyone around them and starting new policies before their business cards are ordered!
Are Aquarians Good With Money?
This sun sign carries a unique balance in all aspects of their life.
- Emotional yet logical
- Passionate yet cool
- Energetic yet shy
It’s the same story when it comes to money: they have the capacity to spend and save without tipping too far in either direction.
And because they may choose jobs without 401(k) plans, they tend to set money aside at a young age… Yet are not afraid to invest in causes or missions they believe in.
An Aquarius tends to toe-the-line between obvious and understated.
While they’re not flashy, you may see them display how good their financial situation is with a fancy watch or nice car!
Aquarius Mythology and Symbol
The Aquarius symbol of the “Water Bearer” is linked to the myth of Ganymede…
Ganymede was dubbed the most beautiful boy of his time. (Picture Harry Styles of the Greek Gods.)
But instead of admiring him from afar, Zeus had him abducted to become his cup-bearer (the guy that makes sure Zeus doesn’t get poisoned).
Unfortunately, that position was already filled by Hebe, who was quickly replaced when Ganymede arrived.
This infuriated Hebe’s mom, and she confronted Zeus.
As a result, Zeus eventually put Ganymede into the stars — now the constellation of Aquarius.
Finally, it’s said that the ruling planet of Aquarius symbolizes the mercy of the gods.
Planet Uranus (also called Father Sky) rules the sign of Aquarius, which is why many with this Zodiac sign enjoy activities that take them to the sky… like paragliding, hang gliding, and flying.
One celebrity Aquarius that comes to mind is the one and only Ellen DeGeneres. **insert enthusiastic claps and hopes of large Shutterfly-sponsored checks**
She (and anyone else born under this sign) is an Aquarian powerhouse!
Other eminent Aquarius’ include:
Celebrity Aquarius – Men
- Ashton Kutcher
- Justin Timberlake
- Christian Bale
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Tom Selleck
- Elijah Wood
- Taylor Lautner
- James Dean
- Michael Jordan
- Gene Hackman
- Ed Sheeran
Which Aquarius traits do you recognize in these famous people? Independence? Charisma?
Celebrity Aquarius Signs – Women
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
- Oprah Winfrey
- Kerry Washington
Aquarius Sign Takeaways
- Aquarius is the eleventh sign in the zodiac and rules those born from January 20th – February 18th.
- They are logical and headstrong humanitarians that will follow their cause to the ends of the earth, but quickly move on once the problem is solved.
- Their dating life is full of rational choices that enable them to make calls others would find tough. Their cool, calculating exterior can lead others to think they’re distant and aloof, but in reality, they’re following their heart and ensuring they’re with the right person.
- Dating an Aquarius is a wild ride. Why? Because they’re always on the hunt for their next project and they’re rarely predictable. They are adventurous spirits and expect the same of their partners.
- Another logical sign (like Sagittarius) is a great match for a free-spirited Aquarius. The passionate and fiery Leo could also balance them out.
- Their desire to help others and communicate a message may drive them to a humanitarian career. They may do this through entertainment, or in a more ‘behind-the-scenes’ way. It’s also possible they’ll find their way into teaching because of their desire to share knowledge. Wherever they land, they’re likely to take a stand right away.
The Aquarius is represented by a unique combination of a lot of opposing personality traits. They are type A personalities, but their free-spirit and love of Avant-garde ensures they’re never too organized!
No matter how you slice it, an Aquarius is someone you want on your team to get something done. They’re movers and shakers, yet do it all with a smile.